Anyone flooded?

Caryl

I know there has been a lot of rain in some places. We have had 30mm in the last 24 hours. We needed it and, to my knowledge, it hasn't caused any major problems locally but that could change. Our rivers always flood when it rains up the valley - and it has been very heavy there.

How are the rest of you doing in the heavy rain areas?

had about an hour and a half yesterday but only a very brief light shower here today.

Just got home from playing bowls with my daughter. Couldnt stay too long as we had dressed in sweat shirts rather than tee shirts

We've had 6inches in the last week, 3 occasions it's been very heavy, one night in particular we had 50mls in 20mins, over flowed 1.8mtr drains in less than an hour, caused minor race damage but nothing to get worried about, I've been doing the Snoopy dance all week, for once working in the rain hasn't worry me in the least.

The Motueka river was the highest I had seen in years yesterday, It broke its banks upstream at tapawera yesterday and few residents needed evacuating. Water was everywhere on the flats below us but is dissapearing pretty fast now. At least all my rainwater tanks (65,000L) are now full :D

Not any more! Southland/Central Otago was flooded a few weeks back. The Otautau Stream is not far from our house, a short distance further is the Aparima River. Both were very swollen and both broke their banks and overflowed into paddocks in several places. We could at our back door and hear the water rushing past. There are two flood banks in place though so it was very unlikely that we would have been flooded.

I have to drive 40 mins to and from work every day, on two occasions, over the 2-3 day period of the floods, I had to take a different route as various roads had been flooded.

On the work side of things (I work in the insurance industry) we were on alert, in case we got flooded with claims. But we didn't. All we got was a few farm fence and balage/silage claims, a few cars which were swept off the road (silly people attempting to drive through flooded sections of road) and a tractor that got flooded. Apparently a lot of the wrapped bales were swept out to sea.