has any one taken fish on a plane?

Zayne

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36894&hilit=plane

I have had no problems with taking fish with me as carryon luggage with Qantas.

I just showed the fish to the security guys and said that I don't want them xrayed. they were happy about it and even laughed when I said this liquid couldn't be explosive, especiallhy with fish swimming in there.

If the fish are small enough I would use a 2L juice bottle to transport the fish. more sturdy than a bag.

I have had problems with Air New Zealand in checking fish as luggage.

my advice for travelling with Air New Zealand is NOT to tell them you have fish in your luggage. As with carryon for Air New Zealand, I have no idea.

I will not fly Air New Zealand unless I really have to because they would not let me take fish :evil:

Well, I suppose this is as good a time as any to share a strange tale....

About 3 weeks ago I received this box from HFF:

box1.jpg

and then yesterday I received this box from HFF:

box2.jpg

Both shipments were sent with the same courier (Fastways) and both arrived the next day. The first box was packed around midday and arrived approximately 24 hours later after being flown down to Chch.

The second box didn't arrive as expected and HFF contacted me to update me on a problem that the courier had encountered when they got the fish to the airport in Auckland - the airline refused to carry the fish without a $150 surcharge. So, the fish were driven down to Chch on the 'bullet.' Some excellent after hours service by HFF and Fastways saw me picking up the fish from the depot that night, but at least the fish didn't have to spend another night in the polybox (it would have been 48 hours total before they were delivered and it is quite chilly down here at the moment).

One important note: the FIRST box was well labelled as live fish and had no problems. The second box it was not labelled as live cargo but the airline either opened the box or assumed that they were fish but they would not transport them without the surcharge.

Fair warning.

i bought a fish home on air new zealand recently - the one on my avatar - took it as hand luggage - just make sure you can get into the package so security can check its swimming about etc. and there are no sharp objects

i bought a small poly box back from Nav in chch to auckland when i was last doen there, i just put it in my carry on bay & no issues but i think that couriering it is far easier. they still have to be packed the same it's just less delivery time taking them yourself which isn't an issue if you get the package delivered the next day.

I haven't ever taken any fish myself. But I did inquire about whether I would be allowed to take fish in my carry-on and Air NewZealand said no. They said the fish are not allowed as carry-on and would have to be checked in as a fragile item and it would probably cost about $20 (for some reason).

thats the thing - it all depends on who you talk to - cause i knew i was going to bring a fish back from akl i inquired 2x with air new zealand and both times they said as long as its domestic then its not a problem with them - but they did want me to talk to security - so i rang security in akl prior to us flying to akl and they said yep no problems - when at the airport they wanted me to open the poly box up and remove pretty much everything so they could check to make sure there was metal or anything in the box - they dont put the fish through the xray machines :) but they were fine about it all

I have carried fish onto planes (for internal flights, not international of course) a number of times (in cooler bags), and given them to others to do the same, with no problems. You just don't say "Oh, by the way, I have live fish in my bag" :wink:

I travelled with an axolotl in an ice cream container once. The air hostess (remember when all flights had them?) said "Eeewww!" but didn't say I couldn't carry it.

So do you not say anything then or do you pre-arrange it?

I have carried fish onto planes (for internal flights, not international of course) a number of times (in cooler bags), and given them to others to do the same, with no problems. You just don't say "Oh, by the way, I have live fish in my bag" :wink:

I travelled with an axolotl in an ice cream container once. The air hostess (remember when all flights had them?) said "Eeewww!" but didn't say I couldn't carry it.

Didin't say anything. I just went on board carrying one of those squishable cooler bags. My sister and her daughter took bags of fish to Hamilton for me once and each had 2 large cooler bags full and nobody asked what was in them, nor they didn't say.

Did they go through the security x-ray without anyone saying anything?

Didin't say anything. I just went on board carrying one of those squishable cooler bags. My sister and her daughter took bags of fish to Hamilton for me once and each had 2 large cooler bags full and nobody asked what was in them, nor they didn't say.

So I'm wanting to do this tomorrow. It seems that people have had mixed experiences. I have 3 options I guess. Checked poly box, put poly box inside current checked suitcase or carry them on. I'll be flying Auckland to Christchurch and they're pretty likely going to x-ray. What do you think the best method would be?