Best pumpkin pie recipe in the world

Jennifer

Ok, here is the secret family recipe - don't say I never did anything for y'all.

Btw, if you think you don't like the idea of pumpkin pie, this will change your mind.

The Best Pumpkin Pie

There are really three keys to its goodness. The first is the pumpkin the second is the pastry and the third is the freshness of the spices (it is lightly spiced so the freshness really matters). The pumpkin must have very little moisture and be very smooth. To get this result, cut a pumpkin in half and then roast it (cut side down for 2 hours or until it is soft as warm butter when pierced with a knife. Let it cool in the oven over night. Then scoop out the flesh and blend it with a hand mixer until it is perfectly smooth.

To make the pastry (unsweetened pate brisee):

1 ¼ cups standard flour

½ t salt

65 grams chilled grated butter

50 grams standard Olivani margarine (or similar oil based margarine)

¼ cup ice water

Combine all ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Then add the water (stirring as you go) a little at a time until the mixture begins to hold together - without being to wet or sticky. To test, squeeze a small amount together - if it is crumbly, add more ice water. Press dough into a disc and roll out to fit a deep 25 cm pie dish. Chill for 1 hour.

To make the filling:

2 1/4 cups roasted pureed pumpkin

1 400g tin of sweetened condensed milk

2 large eggs - beaten

1/2 t salt

2 t real vanilla extract

1/2 t cinnamon

1/4 t nutmeg

1/4 t ground ginger

Beat well but do not aerate. Mixture can be refrigerated at this point if baking is to take place later. When ready, carefully pour the mixture into the chilled pastry and place the pie carefully into the oven (preheated to 190 C).

Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the contents do not jiggle when nudged. The pie should not go brown at any stage! If the crust begins to darken during baking, cover it with foil (do not cover the contents of the pie or the moisture will not be able to escape. Cool and chill before serving. Serve with a dollop of softly whipped cream with added vanilla essence.

Edit: typo in the title :roll:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds divine.. you got some canadian in you ay?
Bit farther south actually :roll:

I would still prefer to try it at conference before I attempt to make a whole pie. :wink:

Well, I will do my best, but my birthday is Friday (registration day) so I may not be in a condition to do much baking. I'll see if I can arrange or someone to bake it for me. 8)

Ah, very good question! No perfectly smooth tinned pumpkin puree here eh? :roll:

I use the large dark green pumpkins, not the more common grey blue ones that don't have as much flavour and are far too watery. Sometimes if I can't get enough from the green one I will use a small part of a blue one as well.

I have tried pies with only blue ones and they are usually not as tasty, plus you usually have to stew the pumpkin flesh on the stove after it roasts to get out the excess moisture and get rid of the stringiness (way too much trouble!). Actually, I find the green pumpkins here much tastier than the North American orange ones. Lucky us!

The key is to dry roast it for a long time to make it smooth and to get rid of the water. Easy as with the green pumpkins - not so much with the grey blue ones!

Mmmmm, putting me in the mood for the creamy goodness. :D

I should think they freeze well so could be made earlier in the week even! :wink:

Mine freeze well. I've been making 30ish small ones in little tart crusts and freezing the ones that survive long enough to make it to the freezer. They taste good frozen.

The Green pumpkins are actually called "Buttercups". I should know, my dad used to grow them and I have had many years experience picking the dastardly things.

Have you tried using Butternuts? (they are long cylinder looking ones)

The Grey pumpkins are called "crown pumpkins" they are better keepers than the buttercups.

Ooooooooo! thanks for the secret recipe! never seen one using sweetened condensed milk; can't wait to try it. yummmmm

Huh...I've never seen one that didn't use sweetened condensed milk. Well, discounting the ones that say, "Pour can of pumpkin pie mix into premade pie crust then bake."

Huh...I've never seen one that didn't use sweetened condensed milk. Well, discounting the ones that say, "Pour can of pumpkin pie mix into premade pie crust then bake."

That is so funny! all the recipes I have ever used call for evaporated milk, and also sugar of course; I imagine the ones using sweetenedcondensed will be richer and less watery. ( which is even better when you counter in the drool factorage :lol: haha )

I have already put SC on the shopping list! :bounce:

lol, "Pour can of pumpkin pie mix into premade pie crust then bake." sacrilege! why even bother baking? just buy a pie

I don't even like the pumpkin from a tin any more; fresh buttercup is best!

I generally use the 'lite' variety of SC milk - I know, it is like shoveling uphill but I figure it can't hurt especially considering the high fat pastry. Honestly, it doesn't make any difference in taste. What really makes it for me is the crust, the various premade types here just do not cut it. The crust must be short, and unsweetened but definitely not the 'savoury' premade shortcrust you can get which taste like meat - does not go well with the sweet pumpkin filling! :roll:

Btw, I shall be interested in hearing a full report from whoever manages to make this in the near future - pics would be nice too. :wink:

Just saw oreo pie crusts in the store here! (In Alaska) I don't care if they'd really fit with pumpkin pie, I'd use them anyway!

Also, our local New World had a grand total of 2 types of canned chili last time I got some. I counted here..19 different varieties.

Wait till you visit the cereal isle!

Just saw oreo pie crusts in the store here! (In Alaska) I don't care if they'd really fit with pumpkin pie, I'd use them anyway!

Also, our local New World had a grand total of 2 types of canned chili last time I got some. I counted here..19 different varieties.