April 13, 201016 yr comment_365976 It's certainly a niche who's time has come and a demand that is certainly not being met elsewhere in NZ. Agreed. While advice and plants are freely given on this forum I do find it hard to get what I want in the way of specialist supplies. Report
December 30, 201015 yr comment_412833 What ever happen to this website? Was looking forward to sourcing gear locally rather than fluttering money away on sometimes poor products from overseas websites. I realize the NZ market would be small but I don't believe a huge range of branded products is necessary. I would love to see: - Prices for Optiwhite tanks - 3 sizes of lily pipes - diffusers, other glass related products - external heaters - 3 sizes of wavemakers - quality substrates - aquascaping tools - dry ferts - hardscape rocks, wood I really hope this website gets off the ground, we need it! :nilly: Report
December 30, 201015 yr Author comment_412979 Hey Fordayzbro, I still hope to get the website moving, unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with a very serious illness and I have had to put Lumersion and many other things on the back burner.... BUT I have some very exciting opportunities coming for planted aquariums in NZ with the potential for glassware, tools,CO2 and ferts at very reasoable prices... At the moment I am thinking that it will not be a classic online shop but rather more like a group buying arrangement.... I'm not into aquascaping for quick money but I do want to see NZ scapers have access to decent and reasonably priced equipment. I also have a new interview with Jason Baliban which will hopefully be online in the next week or two. The site is going to be a slow labour of love.... but it will get there eventually. Regards - Peet Report
December 30, 201015 yr comment_412983 Best wishes for your wife. Hope she can have a quick and full recovery. I have been keeping an eye on this site too. Really looking forward to it building up because it is really the only one of its type here. Report
December 30, 201015 yr comment_412993 Sorry to hear that. I have your website saved to my favourites, and keep checking for updates now and then. If you need a hand let me know. Report
December 31, 201015 yr comment_413015 Hey Fordayzbro, I still hope to get the website moving, unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with a very serious illness and I have had to put Lumersion and many other things on the back burner.... BUT I have some very exciting opportunities coming for planted aquariums in NZ with the potential for glassware, tools,CO2 and ferts at very reasoable prices... At the moment I am thinking that it will not be a classic online shop but rather more like a group buying arrangement.... I'm not into aquascaping for quick money but I do want to see NZ scapers have access to decent and reasonably priced equipment. I also have a new interview with Jason Baliban which will hopefully be online in the next week or two. The site is going to be a slow labour of love.... but it will get there eventually. Regards - Peet Sorry to hear about your wife, hope she gets well soon. I've been buying gear from about 3 or 4 different websites overseas and although most of the time I'm happy with the service it's also nice to support NZ business. For the hobby to really take off here we need the product to do so, if making a quick buck means we have access to quality equipment then I would'nt hold that against anyone. Looking forward to the JB interview Report
January 18, 201115 yr Author comment_416455 Hi all.... check out the lastest interview with Jason Baliban... he's a legend in the aquascape hobby and has some pearls of wisdom to share www.lumersion.co.nz Report
January 18, 201115 yr comment_416460 Hi all.... check out the lastest interview with Jason Baliban... he's a legend in the aquascape hobby and has some pearls of wisdom to share http://www.lumersion.co.nz Great stuff! :happy1: Report
April 24, 201115 yr comment_431122 Looking forward to the tank build. Any ideas for the hardscape, plant choice etc? By the looks of the tank stand.... 2 x 150w MH's? Report
April 26, 201115 yr Author comment_431395 I am imagining something along the lines of these scapes, http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=2&id=92 http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=3&id=90 http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=3&id=51 Probably discus + black neons or some other fairly low key tetras... I have some nice sand, drift wood and rocks..... Tank stand will be minimalistic white, 2x 150 watt MHs on stainless steel or brushed aluminium supports. Bought a spray gun and compressor and will hopefully start on the cabinet next weekend. Is a winter project and will start a new post on this forum once I have started the cabinet, will also update lumersion site. Its been a long time coming and am getting very excited about it. Report
May 8, 201115 yr Author comment_433650 Check out Stage 1 of my minimalist 4ft tank stand journal. Hope you guys like it. Report
May 9, 201115 yr comment_433747 Check out Stage 1 of my minimalist 4ft tank stand journal. Hope you guys like it. Good read. Will be watching this build, I like the lighting plans.... A couple questions.... 1/ What sort of filtration turnover are you going for? 2/ We have a serious lack of substate options here, which product are you leaning towards? 3/ Any ideas on your plant shopping list yet? 4/ The inline heater.... I've been looking for a good deal for a while but have been unable to find one, could you please pm me if you find one? Sorry for all the questions.... :oops: Cheers, Steve Report
May 9, 201115 yr Author comment_433818 Hi Steve.... well ummmm I haven't really thought to hard yet about your questions. My preliminary answers are as follows: / What sort of filtration turnover are you going for? Not sure... I've heard amano has very slow turnover in his tanks, I previously had about 1000 L/hr I think in my tank, which is about 3x turnover per hour....this was supposed to prevent BGA by keeping the water always moving... it didnt help though. I dont think I'll bother with a DIY cannister this time so budget will be the constraining factor in the size of the filter... might have to go for 2x smaller ones 2/ We have a serious lack of substate options here, which product are you leaning towards? I used DIY in my last tank and it worked phenomenally... red laterite clay was easy to get hold of in oz.... mind you I have seen some nice looking red topsoil/clay just south of Auckland which might be high in iron and great for growing plants.... I also have something pretty unique up my sleeve which I am hoping to try...but you'll have to keep your eye on my post for more on that 3/ Any ideas on your plant shopping list yet?well, definately some crypts because I just love the jungle look (definately include balansae if I can find it), probably glosso as has been a dream of mine since I laid eyes on my first amano tank, mosses and fern on the branches, limnophila aromatica if its available, lotus,.... I still need to think about this a bit more, but that I'm leaving for dreaming whilst I watch the paint dry on the stand 4/ The inline heater.... I've been looking for a good deal for a while but have been unable to find one, could you please pm me if you find one? I saw a great DIY article somewhere on the web where the guy used pvc pipe with solvent end cap on one end and screw cap on the other... I think they were 50mm pipe....the standard glass heaters were pushed through the PVC end caps using o-ring uni seals which prevented water escaping.. water flowed from the pump through the pvc unit and on into the tank..... I'll be putting some sketches on the site once I have had a bit more of a think about it.. joy of this way is that you dont see the ugly heater in the tank ( Report
May 11, 201115 yr comment_434126 (definately include balansae if I can find it), Balansae is very easy to find and also extremely easy to grow. I can send you some for free if you want Report
May 12, 201115 yr Author comment_434313 Great to hear Balansae is easily available and thanks for the offer. I'll definately catch up with you when I get closer to completing the project. Picking up the timber this weekend if the rain holds off long enough for me to get it home in the trailer....... Report
July 20, 201115 yr Author comment_447487 Hi All, check out the new interview with Siak Wee Yeo from little green corner on the Lumersion website. Also, I've been madly working on my new 4ft cabinet and its starting to take shape . As you can see, my wifes already adopted it as a plant and picture stand. Keep you posted You'll also note that I have taken off the plant guide section of the website. FNZAS has a brilliant plant guide for NZ available plants so its pointless doubling up. The guide section will now be reserved for mine and others DIY projects. Cheers - Peet Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_447563 Did Siak Wee Yeo use any pressurized CO2 in his scape? I noticed the interview only mentioned Flourish Excel which would be rather impressive! Report
July 21, 201115 yr comment_447590 Wow cool stand! IMO it would look nicer if it was black though. Report
July 22, 201115 yr Author comment_447610 Hi Joe, didn't you hear that white is the new black..... I wanted to do something a bit different and love the minimalist look of white and stainless steel. Given the hassle painting was I don't think I would change it even if black did look better Hi Artem, I'll find out from Siak whether he used pressurised, good point though about the CO2..... that would be a lot of excel if he was putting in a cap-full every day or so as reccomended by the manufacturer. Report
July 22, 201115 yr comment_447666 correct me if Im wrong but in the write up doesnt he mention only using excel once evry two weeks? Report
August 9, 201115 yr Author comment_449942 Hi all, I sent Siak your questions and he has replied that the tank is definately on pressurised CO2, and that the excel every couple of weeks is only to combat algae. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.