NZ Couriers no more!

Adrienne

Just letting everyone know that NZ couriers is no longer taking fish or anything remotely live. Apparently the SPCA has been on their case after a couple of complaints from a receiver in ChCh. Fortunately the lovely ladies on the counter at our local branch have said they will refund my several hundred dollars worth of tickets.

I am now on the lookout for a new courier company - urgently needed - what do you all recommend and have you used them lately?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutted NZ couriers is an awesome company :( What on earth would they have done to cause an SPCA issue? Do the SPCA realise that fish get shipped from all over the world and all over NZ all the time.. Unless a driver was drop kicking live fish around and even then its the drivers fault not the companies..

I just found out today as well.

Went in to drop off a box of fish only to be told that they no longer take live fish because the SPCA told them they weren't happy with it :(

So I'm also on the look out for another shipping company.

They are not the same company but they are both owned by Freightways. They have always had a policy of not carrying live stock as per their carriage of goods. No freight company will accept liability if anything goes wrong.

They are not the same company but they are both owned by Freightways. They have always had a policy of not carrying live stock as per their carriage of goods. No freight company will accept liability if anything goes wrong.

Up until today, they were happy to ship the fish as long as I accepted their no-liability clause, which I did. I have been using them for the past 2 years and have never had anything go wrong so I'm a little frustrated that they are taking this stance.

They are the same company. They are both owned by the same people and the depot in Whangarei is the same depot for both companies

i know, i go there most weeks & a mate is a driver for poste haste 8)

this might all be a storm in a tea cup, maybe its someone new who has read the rules & wants to make an empression.

They are the same company. I used to work for them as a driver and I was doing work for both but only getting one pay packet. I would put in one pay sheet and they would work out what was NZC and what was posthaste (different pay rates) then I would get the one deposit in my account each month.

Also all of their trucks share their loads and a lot of the time you get an NZC truck towing a PH trailer or the other way around

They most definately are not the same company. they are seperate companies owned by Freightways who also own Casle parcels.co.nz/Sub60.co.nz/Now couriers.co.nz/Kiwi Express .co.nz/Security express.co.nz/DX mail.co.nz etc.etc. They also own companies in Australia.

I delivered some fish yesterday, havent had any directive from anyone in management. Although if SPCA were getting involved they would probably more than likely be after the senders rather than the freighters.

The ones i delivered were tropicals, to main road house with no one home. After getting the office to call the sender as i wasn't keen on leaving them.

Would be best to ring your local nzcouriers branch personally for clarification, yes we do hate to ship live stock, we also hate flowers, frozen fish, and wine, but still do it.

They most definately are not the same company. they are seperate companies owned by Freightways who also own Casle parcels.co.nz/Sub60.co.nz/Now couriers.co.nz/Kiwi Express .co.nz/Security express.co.nz/DX mail.co.nz etc.etc. They also own companies in Australia.

yeah they are the same company, just a different name, and occasionally a separate depot i deliver posthaste parcels from time to time, also dx, and castle.

The only reason they separate them out is for shipping rates, castle and posthaste are the cheaper bulk end, dx is our mail service, and NZC is the flagship.

I think you are argueing semantics here. Separate companies but all owned by the same umbrella company.

I suggest anyone wanting to transport fish contact their local branch to see what they say.

Is that pet courier still operating? Used to be called Stuart Little I think but then changed name.

The major problem I have with the inconsistency is the fish have to go through a few depots and drop offs to get to their destination what happens if someone along the way decides that they are not allowed to take fish and stops them somewhere random?

Ok, what companies do the pet stores use to transport live fish. I used to work for animates and they get live fish in every week from all over the country. I will ask them which companies they use when I go in next.

you have to remember that they don't normally send fish, the receive fish. some suppliers use "now couriers" if they are in AKL.

I have a few poly boxes at home that have the old tickets still stuck to them.

local lady here said i couldn't send them

went back later and got a guy who took them

i had the same thing up here with NZC. A nature conscious, dread locked mid 40's female would whine about how she "did not really like sending fish" for the first three or four visits i made to send fish. She stopped pointing out her opinions when i quietly pointed out i didn't come to her desk to get her dislikes & that i was there simply to send the fish to their new loving home instead of me feeding them to my cat. Went fine after that but i now choose to use Poste Haste who have provided equal or better service so far.

Often if you point out that theyre packed very well and you (the sender) understand its at your own risk. There shouldnt be a problem.

The inconsistency is frustrating I agree. But the people who complain to and or about the courier companies who are just doing their job dont do much good for anyone imo.

As a whole the courier companies are very good when you weigh up the volumes of parcels sent compared to the amount of parcels which get damaged/delayed.