Sump Pumps - who uses what? Post your experiences

David R

I only have a small sump system running five sub 15l tanks, I started off with a Resun King2, but it died after about a year. I stripped it down, but could not see anything that would impede the flow, such as the usual snails :evil:

Because I did not have a spare at the time and none of the LFS stock Laguna or Eheim I had to buy another pond pump - cannot remember the name - it is starting to get rattly and annoying.

I have a second hand Eheim that I am tempted to put replace it with, but the flow rate may be a bit too much for my little tanks.

Rather than having a pump in that sump do many people have a sump and use a canister filter to pump the water back in to the tank?

Doesn't work as canisters aren't designed to pump water uphill, and thats another topic.....

Adodge; I am leaning more towards an expensive pump for my next set up, although being somewhere in the range of 800-1200+ litres its going to be an expensive exercise! I have heard nothing but praise for Eheims though, and similarly my old Sicce pumps went for years without missing a beat or being cleaned.

In my room I have used king pumps, cheap, big head, with lots of water and I have had good service from them and the suppliers.

However in my in-house tanks I have run ehiems and if i was to replace any pumps I would use these again

no problems little mainatinace and lots of abuse

easy to clean and service and parts are everywhere.

HTH

Nav

Rather than having a pump in that sump do many people have a sump and use a canister filter to pump the water back in to the tank?

It will work, but you'll lose half or so of the flow. Cannisters usually don't have the gruntiest pumps.

I used a Laguna PJ5000 in my marine tank's sump. It did the job well, much more flow than the eheim pump that was popular at the time and cost less. Pumped so much water I had it running through a relatively restrictive spraybar to the tank, nearly maxing out the return plumbing AND diverting off a lot of the flow to equipment in the sump.