DRIFTWOOD WHERE IS IT?

A-town...

you can go to hollywood fish farms they have it there and it only 5 bucks or something like that

Sorry to burst your bubble but for a decent piece its about $28. Rangitoto/Motutapu is your best bet. Take a day trip and a tramping pack. The ferry staff don't mind you bringing back the odd piece larger than a pack :D

Believe it or not I purchased a piece in CHCH last weekend and then went to the beach at Lake Ellesmere to fill up a bag with it.

Here it all is.

You could make a weekend of it and come visit my crypts and fill your boot with wood and sell it to the Aucklanders. LOL

wooandstuff032.jpg

There is always some Native roots amoung all that.

Infact there are several locations within 10 mins of my house where it can be found like this

Its actually one beach. Access for tis location is Morgan Street( North Mole, River Mouth)

In the distance is Castlecliff beach( main swimming beach) further north is Seafront road Access.

South of the point where this pic is taken is South Beach(Beach South of River Mouth) which is accessed by going straight ahead past Wanganui Airport.

A bit further North is Mowhanau Beach(aka Kaiiwi) althoght there is not much wood this far north due to the shape of the coast.

That photo was taken several months ago so there may not be as much wood there now as they clean some of it up for summertime. (or big Bonfire for Guy Fawkes) but there will be plenty of wood still around. I collect pieces when I go fishing and I noticed today that there was a lot of native wood at the Seafront road access. ( warning, unless you have a 4X4, dont attempt to drive onto beach. Its rediculous the amount of times we have to pull people out just so we can get back to the carpark.

David, Anytime you wanna visit, just let me know. :wink:

Hi

I have several pcs that have been sterilzed and re sunk..That can take a year..All native wood and collected all over

the taupo river area's..Plus native puri from my place..2 meter tree died ? hundred years ago and just left moon wood as i call it..No tree remains so the others here are hundreds of years old..

Then growing java ferns on..From 1 meter down to 250mm

A few on t.me but visiters can see others..

Not just a pcs of wood all have excellent shape and have sold some at 80 so if you have the loot..Come visit.

Also dry wood of the beaches can still harbour bugs and to much salt thats hard to soak out..Cheers Phill Collis

i have a nice piece in my turtle pond from Castlecliff beach. you can walk for ages and there is always driftwood. the only problem is finding that perfect piece, lol.

The problem is not so much finding the perfect piece. Its working out which to keep and which to leave as is awkward trying to carry bit of wood all the way down the beach.

I would not be too worried about salt content of the wood. Its nowhere near the amount that would be detrimental to fish health. Infact alot of fish will benefit from a small dose of salt. When I use salt to fight Whitespot I add it buy the cup full. Thats way more than what the wood would absorb.