Pretty pekoltia - Peck. pulcha

Adrienne

Panaque Maccus.

Seems to be the majority opinion as to what these are. The later two I purchased were not as clearly marked as the first three. After a few days in the tank the markings seem to be more defined but as this stage unless I catch them by surprise coming into the room I still can't see them.

However the spotted bn have way more clearly defined spots now than they did. I just need to locate another 3-4 of them :roll:

Pretty peckoltia vs. Panaque Maccus

This particular Pretty peckoltia is Panaque Maccus L104, L162, LDA22

Prior to the 11th special edition of Datz L-Numbers the L104 and L162 were thought of as a different fish, and that they were Peckoltia sp. Specifically in the 1995 Aqualog they are clearly labeled this way.

In the 11th special edition of Datz L-Numbers (2004) They have become Panaqolus sp, but still different fish (L104 vs. L162 that is). Panaqolus was the term used for smaller / dwarf Panaque, but this classification was dropped in late 2003 early 2004 in favour of Panaque.

In the 2008 publication "Back to nature guide to L-Catfishes by Ingo Seidel" L104 has been dropped altogether in favour of L162.

So; as these fish came out of Germany, I would suspect that the literature used for identification pre dated the 2004 Datz publication hence Peckolita.

In March 2009 these were also imported into NZ as L134 Leopard Frog (as mr pleco indicated), but with a Leopard Frog price so $40.00 for these ones is a great buy. Note that at the same time they were showing up in Sweeden also labeled as L134, so that would indicate that it was an exporter that got it wrong that time.

I am not sure that I would call these fish mislabeled, given the evolution of their identification throughout the literature.

Cheers

Geoff

L104 is not gone entirely it is just no longer considered P. Maccus, L104 is to be considered as the so called common Bristlenose a mix where the original catch locations where never recorded and species looking so similar where bred for tthe aquarium trade.

Im not sure what the original "Pretty pekoltia" was but i would imagin it to be the same as what oz call's

"clown pleco" L168, L52, L104, & P. Maccus.