omg i think im being made redundant

oO SKIPPY Oo

if your manager who works in another city calls you up and says that hes flying down tomorrow for a meeting with yours truley, an HR person, to discuss changes that affect your role, and you were also told that you could have a representative in the meeting would you assume that you are being made redundant ?

ive had no warnings etc that would make me think im being fired but what are your thoughts on this ? im so "bleeped" off i wanna slam my managers head into a brick wall.

i asked my manager what the meeting was about and he said that he cant discuss it - so i went to the HR person and she also told me i cant discuss it.....

yeah im thinking the same thing - from what i hear things are quiet with the different areas of the company but i work in IT and I'm pretty busy most of the time so really i dont know how they can justify a redundancy - i dont think a promotion is up for grabs - i only moved into this role that my manager and the main IT manager created to keep me around about 2 years ago so again its just plain old weird. on a side not my meeting with the "bleep bleep bleep" is not till the afternoon and our HR person said to stay at home till the meeting then just go to that. makes me feel even worse that they dont really care or something - if there was nothing to worry about i wish they would have just said "everythings cool with your job we just need to change your role" or something i would have been happy with.... now i want to format 160 servers and make the place come to a screaming halt...

I hate to say it, but expect the worst :(

On the other hand, you could be in for a promotion? hows the company doing in general?

if your manager who works in another city calls you up and says that hes flying down tomorrow for a meeting with yours truley, an HR person, to discuss changes that affect your role, and you were also told that you could have a representative in the meeting would you assume that you are being made redundant ?

ive had no warnings etc that would make me think im being fired but what are your thoughts on this ? im so "bleeped" off i wanna slam my managers head into a brick wall.

i asked my manager what the meeting was about and he said that he cant discuss it - so i went to the HR person and she also told me i cant discuss it.....

Sounds like a disciplinary action if they're saying you could have a representative. But could be your job is just being disestablished.

ive had issues with my manager recently - where hes been bullying me - so i went to HR to get that sorted out - the HR lady said its got nothing to do with that however its a huge coincedence that this all happened within the last 2 weeks and now im being told of this meeting today - ive not done anything "wrong" in recent days as far as im aware - noone has said anything to make me think ive done anything wrong so now i have no idea. ive just checked my emails and found this was meeting request with this in it "Discussion re potential changes that will impact your role" but the wording makes me feel like its bad - and just before "bleepin" christmas too

Sounds like a disciplinary action if they're saying you could have a representative. But could be your job is just being disestablished.

yeah i guess i should but its just hard to keep positive when it looks like the "worst" may be coming at christmas - especially when i really thought my job was stable !!

anyone know of any IT jobs in wellington :bounce: :bounce:

i got made redundant 8 months ago its one of thge best things that ever happened to me stay positive and make use of your opportunities if it happens to you

Hope all goes in your favour, but be prepared for the worst.

Like spoon, when I was made redundant years ago I didnt have a clue what to do. It was the closure of the business so was not the only one. I just applied for every job I could and came out and told people that why I needed a job and was prepared to start at the bottom and work up if needed. Well I got a job as a delivery person. Now I am a store Manager and I really like my job.

Stay positive and if it is the worst case scenario, demand them to pay for things like a professional CV, etc.

I can imagine how you must be feeling today. Go play with your fish tanks to keep your mind off it for now as there is nothinhg you can do till you are sitting in the meeting with them.

Stay strong

thanks supasi :) i guess like you and others have said everything happens for a reason and sometimes its the best thing that can happen - i will start a new topic about my 4 footer i got from lmsmith to get some ideas on how to get it looking top notch - im so useless when it comes to aquascaping :oops: - that should keep my mind off blimming work :evil:

Hope all goes in your favour, but be prepared for the worst.

Like spoon, when I was made redundant years ago I didnt have a clue what to do. It was the closure of the business so was not the only one. I just applied for every job I could and came out and told people that why I needed a job and was prepared to start at the bottom and work up if needed. Well I got a job as a delivery person. Now I am a store Manager and I really like my job.

Stay positive and if it is the worst case scenario, demand them to pay for things like a professional CV, etc.

I can imagine how you must be feeling today. Go play with your fish tanks to keep your mind off it for now as there is nothinhg you can do till you are sitting in the meeting with them.

Stay strong

Nearly all the redundancies that happened at the company that I recently left just happened to all be people that didnt see eye-to-eye with the directors...

I was actually hoping to get made redundant... an extra months pay hehe, but I left anyway.

Key thing: dont panic. take your time and evaluate options, but dont jump to 100% conclusions until anything is confirmed.

yeah i know i guess the initial shock of the manager saying - we are having a meeting and im not going to tell you anything makes me over paranoid and come to the worse possible conclusions - in saying that if its not a bad outcome tomorrow i will be relieved but then will start looking for a new job anyway - maybe somewhere that appreciates the employees :) - that may be a hard task

I got laid off in May it was like best few months of my life :D just went to the snow :bounce: being laid off in Summer can't be to bad either....Wear sunscreen.

Wouldn't your position in HR, make you the person doing the laying off? they can't just rock up and lay you off either.

Nah I'm in IT - we are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to where I work - I have a meeting with my manager, our local HR lady, and a support person of my chosing tomorrow. my sister in law reckons what they are doing sucks and sounds like she may lay into them tomorrow - could be some fireworks they wont have seen coming....shes a manager and knows all about this sort of rubbish so will be interesting....

:( hope it all works out for you. I'm thinking it's not as big a deal as you think; chances are it's something completely different and you've just jumped to the wrong conclusion - here's hoping, anyway!

yeah im hoping that too - i hope your partners issues with his work sort themselves out too :)

they have to sit you down with your relative if you choose, then tell you they are up the creek without a paddle, then your meant to go away and think of some miracle that will save the company, and then they lay you off once you've thought about it or something like that.

also they have to make your position redundant (not you), and they can't make you redundant based on performance, If they lay you off and you ask why, and they says its cause your a lemon, then thats some ammo you can use against them later if you so wish.

they dont ask you to bring a friend to give you a raise, expect the worst that way you wont be disappointed ;)

holiday pay + 2 (or more)weeks pay = bring on summer :lol:

yeah i know i guess the initial shock of the manager saying - we are having a meeting and im not going to tell you anything makes me over paranoid and come to the worse possible conclusions - in saying that if its not a bad outcome tomorrow i will be relieved but then will start looking for a new job anyway - maybe somewhere that appreciates the employees :) - that may be a hard task

whereas I hope things will be fine, keep in mind that a lot of companies have struggled and have been forced to change their structure around to keep existing in the future so it may well not be something they are very keen on doing either.

Also take (after rereading it) your work contract as that will have the conditions of employments which includes dismissal and redundancies.

The contract I have provides for no payout but an extra weeks (2 in total) in which pay to help look for a position. If I needed to make someone redundant then I would be in trouble and a payout could well be the death nail for my company.

Try also to look and see your employers side as it will probably be upsetting for them as well, it means they are failing and loosing work by not being compeditive