June 22, 201115 yr comment_441836 Theres a few online at the moment. Don't know if I would buy from them as they were telling me they were sure of the sex despite the geckos only being 4 or 5 months old. Report
June 22, 201115 yr comment_441923 What is the secret to hatching them? My eggs tend to colapse after 3 or 4 days. Maybe dehydrating I thought so tried adding a little more water to the vermiculite medium, but then they go mouldy, tried with lid on but that made no difference nor did adding a dish of water to incubator. One idea I plan to try next time is to almost bury them. Have been incubating at about 30 degrees. I must be doing something wrong or they are all infertile. Report
June 22, 201115 yr comment_441939 i would suggest infertility is your problem.Although I have never hatched leopard gecko eggs,infertlies in beardies,boxies show up much the same way as you describe.I would think you would have some signs of development well after `a few days`,if you did have fertility? Report
June 22, 201115 yr comment_441954 Each female will only lay 2 eggs at a time so only possible to have 2 from a clutch. Report
June 22, 201115 yr Author comment_442085 What is the secret to hatching them? My eggs tend to colapse after 3 or 4 days. Maybe dehydrating I thought so tried adding a little more water to the vermiculite medium, but then they go mouldy, tried with lid on but that made no difference nor did adding a dish of water to incubator. One idea I plan to try next time is to almost bury them. Have been incubating at about 30 degrees. I must be doing something wrong or they are all infertile. Did you candle (shine a torch) on the eggs to see if they are fertile? If they are fertile they will glow pink and if infertile they will glow yellow. Sometimes you can tell immediately but sometimes it takes a few days. It sounds like they are infertile. Are you breeding from a pair that has had success at breeding before? When it comes to the vermiculite it best to add water to the point that when you place a handful in your hand and squeeze, just a little water water should squeeze out. If it is dripping heavily or running then it is too wet. The US breeders have found more success incubating their eggs completely off of the vermiculite/perlit. Check this link out: http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=71613 Report
June 22, 201115 yr Author comment_442086 One of mine I am keeping back (10 week old female) Nice one Alan. looks like she is going to colour up nicely Love the orange on the back legs :thup: Report
June 23, 201115 yr comment_442129 Here's a dumb question from someone who knows nothing about these animals - do they stay those colours or do they change as they age? Report
June 23, 201115 yr Author comment_442131 Hi Caryl. They are born with bands. As the grow and shed the bands break up and they become spotted. Their colours can also change and intensify as they grow. Report
June 23, 201115 yr comment_442133 So you have no way of knowing what your baby gecko will look like when it is fully grown? Report
June 23, 201115 yr comment_442137 The black bands tend to end up as more concentrated areas of the black dots. It is also claimed that the higher the incubation temperature the less black so males should have less black. Report
June 24, 201115 yr comment_442574 Very nice Alan. Something I would like to add here, I have been using a moon light tube which still gives off uva/uvb for a few hours each night. It is something like 15% uva/uvb of what the normal reptile tubes give off. The leo's bask in it, spread themselves flat and spend up to 2 hours under the light. Thought it might be worth mentioning, you guys are still the guru's but it might be worth investigating further, as it is giving them the option to regulate their dh3 intake through basking, together with a very varied diet I am having great results. growth rates on these 2 little girls I have has increased dramatically since the introduction of the tube. They may have been due for a growth spurt anyway but I think it warrants further investigation. once again Alan, she is beautiful, well done and good luck with breeding her in the future. where did you acquire this moonlight? :smln: Report
June 24, 201115 yr comment_442577 pet store, with all the other tubes. Not from this particular store but you can check it out at least. http://www.petandgarden.co.nz/shop/show_single_product.php?prod=1157 There is some information on the web about them, lists the uva/uvb output ect. Report
June 24, 201115 yr comment_442580 I dont think those moonlight bulbs actually do produce any uvb. Correct me if Im wrong. If they do I might try it as I have a very slow growing lep. But it doesnt mention UVB in that link or any other sites that have the reptile one moonlight bulbs. Report
June 24, 201115 yr comment_442581 I read from the reptile one catalog that they produce 15% of the uva/uvb of the daylight tubes. I also had a website with a write up on them before I decided to get one. I will try find it again. Report
June 24, 201115 yr comment_442585 this is the quote from an online brochure. The Reptile MoonLight tube is a low light fluorescent tube that provides a soft light that replicates moonlight while providing small amounts of UVA and UVB light. These tubes are ideal for nocturnal species and can help to replicate natural lighting conditions in any reptile or amphibian enclosure. http://www.reptileone.com.au/catalogue/ReptileOne_A5_Mini_brochure.pdf There was a more descriptive write up around some where too, I will keep looking. Report
June 24, 201115 yr comment_442586 Thanks. And so do you only leave it on a few hours a night? Ive got one who only eats 2 bugs every second day approx. I try to get him to take more but he just nudges them around a bit then wanders off. Report
June 24, 201115 yr comment_442587 yeah just 3 hours a night, from 9 till midnight. They bask under it too, I never noticed them out as often before. Report
June 25, 201115 yr comment_442815 Thanks. And so do you only leave it on a few hours a night? Ive got one who only eats 2 bugs every second day approx. I try to get him to take more but he just nudges them around a bit then wanders off. I have one like that, wont really eat mealworms, on rare occasions may take a wax moth grub but it loves crickets which are real hard to get at the moment. Barely grew until I started feeding it crickets. Report
June 25, 201115 yr comment_442819 Did you candle (shine a torch) on the eggs to see if they are fertile? If they are fertile they will glow pink and if infertile they will glow yellow. Sometimes you can tell immediately but sometimes it takes a few days. It sounds like they are infertile. Are you breeding from a pair that has had success at breeding before? When it comes to the vermiculite it best to add water to the point that when you place a handful in your hand and squeeze, just a little water water should squeeze out. If it is dripping heavily or running then it is too wet. The US breeders have found more success incubating their eggs completely off of the vermiculite/perlit. Check this link out: http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=71613/quote Have not bothered candling, didnt want to disturb eggs any more than needed, but that basket gaget on that website looks very interesting. May consider buying some. If others are interested let me know and I may get them in bulk and sell on. http://www.yourgeckoguy.com/?page=geo may work better. Report
June 25, 201115 yr comment_442827 mate in aus reckons these are the go. http://carpetpythons.com.au/sim-incubation-tubs/ edit: seem to be used for geckos too http://www.lovegeckos.com/sim-incubation-container.aspx looks like the way to go.. could diy something with some plastic egg crate. and saw this the other week 8) http://www.3news.co.nz/Baby-crocs-to-hatch-in-Auckland/tabid/423/articleID/212989/Default.aspx Report
June 25, 201115 yr comment_442838 They are a similar type of product but bigger, but they cost AU$30 each while the other ones are US$5 or less depending on how many are bought, then add freight. And I think the US$ has a better exchange rate than AU$ now. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong on that. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.