Just brought my first tank!

Blairsowman

:D Hey all, Just brought myself my first tank. Its a 130L Aquaone tank. Its taller than it is wide!

Thought id start a tropical fish community - my Grandfather had a few tanks when i was growing up, so i've always been interested.

Any advice to help a newbie.

Any good stores to buy accessories from in Palmerston North?

Ive got the hood with the tank which includes a light and filter - that's all Iive got so far.

Can someone list what else i need, where to get it from, brands etc???

ALSO Iive been told by the store that i will need an air pump - but I've been told by a few people that i wont because i have a hood filter - can someone clarify this please????

Cheers,

Blair

Any advice to help a newbie.

Yes, research, research and research! Research which fish you want to keep, how to keep them, who they can be kep with, what kind of water they like, what foods they like, how they breed etc.

And fnd a picture of a tank you like and go from there. There are many different types of tanks, planted, biotope, community, etc.

Any good stores to buy accessories from in Palmerston North?

Animates? Or you can order things online through Petmart

Can someone list what else i need, where to get it from, brands etc???

It all depends on what kind of aquarium you'd like. As a beginner, I'd suggest:

-Gravel or Sand for the bottom

-A heater, any fully submerisble one is okay. 150w should be fine for this tank

-Lights, you've got those but you might need different or more tubes in order to grow better plants. If you don't want to grow special plants then no special lights are needed

-Filter, you've also go that but perhaps different media?

ALSO Iive been told by the store that i will need an air pump - but I've been told by a few people that i wont because i have a hood filter - can someone clarify this please????

An airpump is only really needed in a breeder tank or in a tank with lots of fish and little oxygen. Most aquariums won't NEED one but if you don't mind having slower growing plants, you can use one.

HTH and welcome!

Hi and welcome! :D

so you got the aq one 620T?

I quite like that tank, its good for plants and small community fish.

You should plant the tank (need gravel for the base) and then cycle your tank. you don't need much for that - just a fish to start off with.

Planting the tank is easy. your light will allow you to grow java fern (remember not to dig it in the ground), amubias, cabomba, sag. subulata - and a few other sag species among others. could even do tiger lotus in there.

with this particular model of tank you will not need an air pump but as you increase the fish population, you may need it unless you get an external cannister filter with that tank - 9strongly recommended).

Ask away if you need more info.

Welcome to the forums! :D

Sam and Phoenix have given you excellent advice so you should be sweet. I wholeheartedly agree about adding a canister filter. It will provide more efficient processing of fish waste, better flow and improve plant growth. If you add a canister you will need to 'modify' the hood to get the inlet and outlet tubes into the tank (we can help you with advice on how to do that). The hood filter you have should be ok to cycle with and the media (ceramic tubes) in there is pretty decent to start with. If you decide to get a canister in future you can transfer the mature (used) media from the hood to the canister and top it up with some better media.

As Phoenix said, start out with one or two little hardy fish and a bunch of hardy plants to cycle the tank before you add any more fish (this might take a couple of weeks or more). Examples of hardy fish that are active and make good community fish are Danios or Platys (among lots of others).

There is a good article here on the forums that will help get you started: http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=beginnerfreshwater

And, if you use the search function (top right of the page) you can look up just about anything you need to know!

Also, take a moment to add your location to your profile (under control panel, top right of the page) that way when you post, those that are near you can provide useful local advice!

Have fun and keep us updated! :bounce:

Thanks for all the help!

I really have no idea where to start :o

I would like the tank to look as natural as possible, so im not going to be having ornaments left, right and centre.

I'll start with a few of those hardy plants and fish too.

Are there any specialty shops in the Manawatu Area?

Animates and wet pets both didnt seem to be of help to me, telling me i need this and that.

Cheers,

Blair

Where to start? :o

Never fear, we're hear to help.

If it was me, I'd start by finding a picture, or even better, a journal of an aquarium that I like. Tha way, we can tell you how best to achieve that look/style. Kinda like a haircut 8)

PM Phoenix and ask him when he is working and you will get lots of help from Animates. I have found that they are good there but you need to talk to the right people. Some of them just want to SELL SELL SELL but then you get people like Phoenix and Ange that are happy to just have a chat and sell you something because it will look cool in yuor tank. If you are luck they will even hide interesting things away for you if they know you are going to be visiting.

Or you could talk to supasi and see if he has any plants for sale. He is a bit of a plant guy

The aquaone 620T is a good tank. The filtration ideally should be replaced with a canister.

Dont stock it too heavily, tall bodied fish work well.

For some inspiration maybe, heres my old 620T, Centered around a breeding pair of angels.

sal008.jpg

Vallisnera gives a great tall swaying backdrop. Some javaferns/anubias and some crypts look good too and dont even need good light.

Hi and welcome :)

Be warned that angel fish are not really angels.. They get big and nasty and tend to eat alot of the more peaceful fish that you may want to add with them :( Also if you get a pair then there wont be an awful lot of room in that tank (as they are a very tall tank) and the other fish will get a hard time..

Thanks for the advice.

I'll probably start with something more hardy, and then work my way into it.

I would like to get some drift wood, and maybe some rocks (that looks quite good!).

I also want some tall plants, as my tank is quite tall (60 or 70cm I think).

Looks like its a trip out to the beach!!!!

It is no because it is illegal to take driftwood off some beaches, like Hokitika beach. This is because the majority of it is dried wood up above the tideline and stopping erosion. Nobody objects to you picking up a bit of interestingly shaped waterlogged stuff closer to the waterline :wink:

The salt is not a problem. Soak or hose off the driftwood when you get it home. The small amount of salt stuck in nooks and crannies will not affect anything as there will be so little of it.

Yeah driftwood from the beach is fine (I am unsure on the legalities of it all) if anything I would be happier taking it from the beach than the river, the salt water is likely to have killed any nasty algae or any freshwater bugs that may have soaked into it and could affect your tank.

Hi and welcome :)

Be warned that angel fish are not really angels.. They get big and nasty and tend to eat alot of the more peaceful fish that you may want to add with them :( Also if you get a pair then there wont be an awful lot of room in that tank (as they are a very tall tank) and the other fish will get a hard time..

Partly true, depends on the fish.

I had 20 neons in there and none got eaten (though they ate eggs whenever I let them spawn in there without moving them to the breeding tank)

I also had 2 rams but they hung out around the bottom.

hmmmm all valid points.

I was thinking today that it could be cool to have a native fish aquarium?

Bullies and the such.

Anyone done this?

You must like the colours grey and brown :o

I will be of no help with a native tank. all i know is that they need to be cold and the fish are brown and grey. minus that one red like one. and they look like long bullets. maybe not bullets but like long bacillus bacteria.