Ok 3-4 Questions?

rox

golly gosh, you guys complicate things.

you insert the syphon into the tank, with the sucky bit of the plastic end facing upwards, let it fill with water, and the siphon shoudl automatically start. if not give it a few vertical wiggles (i wonder what was on the inventors mind when he thought of this :o ) and water will gush out.

That only works for gravel cleaners, I think? If you're using a tube alone you fill it with water as livingart mentioned above. :)

There was a post on here years ago about someone who got TB from fish and was really really sick for a long time.. I was also talking to the manager of a petshop and he showed me where it had been cut from his hand in several places and at the time had another staff member off getting some removed..

you can't contract the lung disease from the fish, but can contract the other form - just like it affects the fish. usually happens cause flesh is exposed; causes boil like things on your hands unless you were standing in the tank and had cut feet in which case it could cause boil like things on your feet.

remember that fish TB is rare, and is usually incorrectly diagnosed.

Hi Rox after goog'ling " red spots" the best I can come up with after all the previous stupidity is Red pest ( never heard of it myself) recommended cure is chloromycetin. I suggest you google also, as there seems to be a fair few people who have also come across the same symptoms.

Hi Rox after goog'ling " red spots" the best I can come up with after all the previous stupidity is Red pest ( never heard of it myself) recommended cure is chloromycetin. I suggest you google also, as there seems to be a fair few people who have also come across the same symptoms.

Yes, thanks :bounce: I know we read that, but it says red spots on an Angelfish, so in saying that you'd think it was something they are prone too. But in saying that the assessment asked for the same in Tetra, and she has not been able to find one thing about red spots on Tetra. And as we know with Tetra they are a dime a dozen and if you loose one then others are bound to go down too, great for cycling a tank!

Chloromyceton is a tradename for chloramphenicol which you would be hard pressed to get a doctor or vet to prescribe because they try to reserve it as a sure fired cure for cholera and they don't want to develop resistance. Piscene tuberculosis is zoonotic (can be transmitted to humans) and there have been a few cases down here (mainly people working in fish quarantine facilities). It is usually contracted through cuts or abrasions and is the main reason why full length gloves are required by Maf during fish quarantine. It can vary in its severity and I have been told that sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Salmonellosis is spread by the faecal/oral route and needs to be ingested. It is less virilent than some other dysentary causing diseases like shigellosis (bacillary dysentary)

Rox, as a teacher of vet science I would advise that the student politely add a comment to the assessment to the effect that they asked a lot of 'experts' for advice, etc. etc. and wonder if this question was faulty as there are a number of possible issues but no clear answers for the particular condition. The reason I say that is because it is entirely possible that someone wrote the assessment with the best intent but with inaccurate knowledge (perhaps a very old book) and if they know the the question is faulty, they can go back and look at re-writing the question for next time and perhaps even omit the question from marking in this instance.

You could always volunteer to look over the assessment for accuracy... :roll:

Good luck! :wink:

Rox, as a teacher of vet science I would advise that the student politely add a comment to the assessment to the effect that they asked a lot of 'experts' for advice, etc. etc. and wonder if this question was faulty as there are a number of possible issues but no clear answers for the particular condition. The reason I say that is because it is entirely possible that someone wrote the assessment with the best intent but with inaccurate knowledge (perhaps a very old book) and if they know the the question is faulty, they can go back and look at re-writing the question for next time and perhaps even omit the question from marking in this instance.

You could always volunteer to look over the assessment for accuracy... :roll:

Good luck! :wink:

Thanks Jenniferh, I have written a comment for the workbook and spoke with them over another matter that was unclear and.... at the same time offered to make comments on work well and what didn't ;) We are obviously on the same page.

I thought I'd throw it open on here for people to comment just in case I had missed anything. My student will be able to read this today and probably answer in a similar fashion to what you have suggested, thanks everyone :)