need car insurance - advice?

Stella

right, I now have my car :)

Looking at insurance now, preferring full cover but also feeling terribly unemployed.

My broker got back with a quote of $59 per month -day-um my motorcycle insurance was $166 per YEAR!

For the record, it is a 92 Nissan Pulsar, I am over 25, female, on my learners license (shuddup!) and not made previous vehicle claims.

Anyone got any tips/recommendations etc?

Brokers generally get you the best deal, they don't charge you for their service, the insurance company pays for that.

Can I ask which insurance company this was with? Its probably expensive because you're only on your learners. Get your restricted asap!

I pay $175 quarterly for 2 vehicles - a 2000 Mazda SP20 & 1995 Toyota Hilux

Looking at insurance now, preferring full cover but also feeling terribly unemployed.

My broker got back with a quote of $59 per month -day-um my motorcycle insurance was $166 per YEAR!

For the record, it is a 92 Nissan Pulsar, I am over 25, female, on my learners license (shuddup!) and not made previous vehicle claims.

That sounds about right, pretty reasonable actually. My insurance before I came to NZ was $5000NZ/year, for reference.:P

can you go for your restricted ? (sp) .

we I got laid off I decided i would try reduce expenditure by find cheaper insurance, couldn't find any one else to cover me, so stuck paying $90+ a month :( and my excess is MEGA!!

No at fault claims, Never been disqualified, or DIC'd. And I've done a defensive driving course. Full Licence and I'm 24...and yes my insurance company makes my but-hole hurt...ALOT

im actually surprised you didnt get quoted 5k or more, like I did on my car. if you were male you definitely would have been given that quote. what is third party cover like?

call vero and speak to them. they have some pretty cool extras you can add on to a third party fire and theft cover.

I did the AA quote thing for you had to guess a few things but it ended up at $79 pr month with a $400 x/s. Your broker deal is looking good so far..

But the AA quote was for an agreed value policy at $2,415.00, which means if the car was a total loss you would get paid that amount. Market value policies are cheaper than agreed value, but if the car is a total loss then they pay you the the pre-accident valuation which is determined by either one valuation or the average of two valuations.

when i was 15 (1995) i paid $1200 per year for full cover on a $5k 1988 holden 2.0L. In 1997 i traded it on a 1992 Subaru Legacy 2.0L Turbo worth $18K. With no claims or tickets on my insurance history they wouldn't insure me (who would insure a 17 yr old with a hiroshema screamer?). I rang again a week later to try again as i had a big loan & no insurance to try my luck. No was the answer again ..... then the lady said to me "Is any of your family insured with us?". I found out that my grandad was & told them, i waited for 10 minutes on hold & she came back & said i had insurance! wahoo ..... "oh what is it going to cost?" i asked fearing the worst. $725 per year was the reply. :o $500 cheaper than the old slug??? Shop around, its not what you know :) oh, this was state.

Try NZI insurance. they were the cheapest for me.

and cheaper than the insurance company that I use for my house and house and contents insurance. :o

So combining insurance to one company is not necessarily cheaper.

when i was 15 (1995) i paid $1200 per year for full cover on a $5k 1988 holden 2.0L. In 1997 i traded it on a 1992 Subaru Legacy 2.0L Turbo worth $18K. With no claims or tickets on my insurance history they wouldn't insure me (who would insure a 17 yr old with a hiroshema screamer?). I rang again a week later to try again as i had a big loan & no insurance to try my luck. No was the answer again ..... then the lady said to me "Is any of your family insured with us?". I found out that my grandad was & told them, i waited for 10 minutes on hold & she came back & said i had insurance! wahoo ..... "oh what is it going to cost?" i asked fearing the worst. $725 per year was the reply. :o $500 cheaper than the old slug??? Shop around, its not what you know :) oh, this was state.

Yeah this is very much the thing with insurance companies, the person on the phone can do as little or as much as they want to help you out and can make thing alot cheaper if they like you (ticking up a few no claims etc). Ring a few times and talk to different people being as well spoken as possible and explaining you have a cheap car and are very responsible etc etc etc helps as well. Insurance through family can help, sometimes your family member (who has a few policies and puts some good $$'s through the company) can give them a friendly call and ask on your behalf and also mention the other companies he might be transferring to if they can't help. We also found that going into the insurance offices can help obviously being well presented and well spoken etc. I ended up paying $1000 a year with state for a GTIR pulsar (2LT turbo etc) when I was 21 and still on my restricted by shopping around, alot of mates were paying up near 2k with dodgy companies.

Im screwed due to a stupid mistake when I was abit younger and a whole lot more naive.

thought I was in a 100 on the expressway,(2 lanes, 3 at times, long and easy corners) when it actually was a 80. shoulda known better, but i was clocked at 125. now in a 100, that would only be maybe a $200 fine, and 30 or so demerits. Being in a 80 it put me 45k over. $510 and 50 demerits, loss of licence for 3 months.

and it haunts me in my car insurance for the next 5 years, or more! excess= 500, plus under 25,=$500, plus special condition that when I'm driving= $500... basically, for damage likely to cost under 1500, I might as well shell out myself! even above that, if I settle outside of law it will be worth not damaging my actually clean driving history! (other than above relapse)

Shoot me now...

You might be struggling to get better than that because you're on your learners. Being over 25 and having no claims doesn't count for much if you've only had a license for five minutes. We're with AMI because they give us a good deal for house+contents+cars, but when I had "high risk" cars I was with InsureDirect (I think).