Drift Wood

axokeeper

I've used both drift wood from the beach, and swamp wood off several farms and never had any probs. The drift wood seems to sink reasonably quickly and may slightly tinge the water but after a few water changes clears up.

The swamp wood seems to take a lot longer to sink and can leach and make the water go tea colored, which isn't a problem if you have a Amazon biotope I guess. You really need to soak it for several months, but I never have. Our latest driftwood is Macrocarpa and hasn't leached at all but after about 3 months it still isn't sinking......hmmmph. I guess if you get swamp wood from a peat paddock it may cause your PH to drop, though I'm not positive about that, I'm sure someone here would be able to clear that up.

I'm still waiting for the driftwood I found on the beach to sink....

Its been in the laundry sink covered with water and weighted down with water-filled buckets and still pops up to the surface when I move the buckets. I have 2 different types and neither will sink :x

Its been like that for weeks...how long does it normally take?

How do you know if u have collected unsinklable wood?

I use a lot of 'bogwood' as my Plecos (Panaques) eat a lot of it. I've used both shop brought and locally collected pieces. I always boil it before using it, particularly if I've collected it in freshwater as there may be small undesirable critters on it. If it looks dirty I scrub it before boiling it.

I always go for the dark coloured hard 'bogwood' (I'm told its mostly native hardwoods) if I'm collecting it, as its dense, looks great, lasts a long time, and sinks relatively quickly. Bogwood will leach tannins for quite a while which will make the water go tea-coloured. Eventually it will stop leaching but aside from reducing the visibility a little in tank the fish seem to like it (mine are mostly Amazonian).

I'm still waiting for the driftwood I found on the beach to sink....

Its been in the laundry sink covered with water and weighted down with water-filled buckets and still pops up to the surface when I move the buckets. I have 2 different types and neither will sink :x

Its been like that for weeks...how long does it normally take?

How do you know if u have collected unsinklable wood?

I bought a large piece of wood off trademe several years ago. The woman said she had had it in a pond originally, but it had been out of the pond sitting on her lawn for a few months. She said when it was in the pond it had stayed completely submerged on its own. I have been soaking it for about five years now and IT STILL HASN'T SUNK!! :o :evil: :roll:

Originally I put it in a bath of very hot water, weighed it down with some rocks, and changed the water repeatedly. I also scrubbed it with a wire brush as it was a bit muddy. Then I put it in my tank with rocks on it, but it was so buoyant (sp?) that it kept throwing off the rocks and shooting to the surface! (In a glass tank with glass covers this is a pretty nerve-wracking event.) So then I tied the rocks to it with fishing nylon.

When I moved about a year later I thought surely it will sink on its own, so I untied the rocks. Nope! Still floating! But at least I could just stack rocks on it by now and be reasonably sure it would stay down.

Next time I moved (about 18 months later) I screwed the lid of a plastic ice-cream container to the bottom of the wood and piled aquarium gravel and rocks on the lid. It stayed that way for another 18 months. Unfortunately the tank had an outbreak of BBAlgae so when I moved to the flat where I live now, I broke down the tank and boiled and scrubbed everything. The driftwood got boiled, scrubbed and microwaved. At that stage I didn't put it back in the tank. Instead I filled a large plastic drum with water outside and the wood has been in there (with rocks on it) for about a year. Now when I take the rocks off it stays about 3/4 submerged. THAT'S PROGRESS! :bounce:

I would get drift wood from the beach as theres more selection there. Also because that stuff from the shop looks real boring and all looks the same. Then the cost is like $30 for a small bit. It is more rewarding finding your own bit on the beach than just buying a bit from the shop. I dont worry about cleaning unless it looks dirty.