MAFia at it again!

sharn

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that most of those plants would not be very suitable for the average aquarium in NZ.

Yep you got it right alan, I participated in NIWA's trial and the only ones left are Glosso elatinoides and the ranunculus. All the rest died out. These plants could be further selected by subjecting several accesions of the same species from different sites and subjecting them to average NZ aquarium conditions and see which variety survives.

Is there anybody importing aquarium plants at the moment? All the people down here who used to import plants flagged the idea a long time ago.

I have been actively legally importing plants and it is very easy as long as you follow MAF's strict rules. But these plants would never harbour hitchhikers because they were cultured in the lab.

Sorry guys no shrimp eggs.

For those who wants to import cherry shrimp (including myself), here's the email I have form MAF

Hi Virginia

Unfortunately we do not have import requirements to allow import of this type of shrimp.

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/imports/ ... ic.all.htm

These are the shrimp we do allow - and I hope this is of some help.

Invertebrates

Cypraea tigris Cowry

Lysmata amboinensis Skunk cleaner shrimp

Lysmata debelius Fire shrimp

Ophiolepis superba Brittle star

Periclimenes brevicarpalis Anemone shrimp

Spirobrachus giganteus Feather duster worm

Stenopus hispidus Banded coral shrimp

You can apply for a new shrimp to be added, but to be honest wit you - it is not a easy or quick process (may take up to three years). If you are thinking of this as a possibility in the future, I'd encourage you to put in an application. It doesn't cost anything to apply - and we can put it on hold until the next round of requests are considered.

More information about this is available at this link

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/regs/imports/ihs/request

Please let me know fi you have any questions.

Kind regards

After you have them approved by Maf (and good luck with that) your best option would be to see an importer and bring them in with one of their shipments from an importer they know and use. You would not be the first person to send money overseas and not hear anything ever. This will give you discounted freight.

After you have them approved by Maf (and good luck with that) your best option would be to see an importer and bring them in with one of their shipments from an importer they know and use. You would not be the first person to send money overseas and not hear anything ever. This will give you discounted freight.

+1

Yes. I did not think that any one would consider importing on their own. The best option would be to use an existing importer unless the persons pockets are very deep and you are willing to make a massive loss. :lol:

• 3 months later...