Average at Animates

JK

I don't normally buy fish or really anything from my local Animates but popped in there today as I received the weekly fish club email stating assorted Danio's were the fish of the week on special. Thought by chance that they may have had some giant or pearl danios and if the quality appeared ok (usually doesn't) I could have been tempted to bring a few home to quarantine.

Got to the door to find it pretty much blocked by 2 staff members about a foot inside having a good old fashioned chinwag. Had to give the old 'excuse me' just to get in the store. :roll:

Didnt waste any time in shooting around to do a quick look through the tanks. No Danios to be seen whatsoever. Actually there may have been some in one of the corner tanks which I couldnt get near as two of the younger staff members were sitting in front of them with one of their non staff mates planning their weekend and catching up on last weekends party. Sounded like a real goodie. Someone had got really drunk and felt pretty bad the next day but I digress, as well, that's not what I was there.

Thought I'd ask a staff member if they knew what the deal was with the fish of the week. As I headed towards the counter, one of them approached me (well so I thought) and I said "Hi'' to which in return I received a smile as she walked on by to join the party in the corner. :-?

Anyway, nothing really bad happened at all, but the experience was just so average that, for not the first time, I walked out the door shaking my head in disbelief.

Btw, have prices skyrocketed or something? neon tetras for $3.99 each :o

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i can agree completly as the one in hamilton is no different it must be animates policy to give the customer as little help as possible.i just dont go there anymore there are two other shops in hamilton who apreciate my buisness and are very helpfull and most importantly they mind if you ask for help.i would say average is an over exageration in my experience animates is well below that in my opinion.

i wasn't impressed with my first ever encounter with buying fish at animates... that's a whole story in itself but my second purchase.. my red wagtails was good. The staff member spent ages catching the specific two I wanted even though the store was really busy. She didn't try and fob off an easier catch but persevered till she got the ones I wanted.

I put off buying the red wags from there because of my experience first time around but in the end couldn't find any elsewhere so got them and quarantined them. They're fine and have had their first batch of platy fry.

I find the prices expensive but they are first and foremost a business. The specials can be quite good though. Sometimes you're lucky enough to get a staff member who has a passion for the animals and will give you good grounded advice that is not $ motivated.

No offense to anyone who works at animates, but IMO buying anything from there is a last resort. I don't even care if they're cheaper, I'd rather support smaller stores like Hollywood who stock a decent selection of fish (catering for the enthusiast rather than just the easy bucks selling community tanks/fish to newbies) and actually have staff who know a bit about what they're supposed to be selling.

In these tough economic times I'd encourage others to do the same, don't make price the sole factor in deciding who gets your dollar, support those who support the hobby (not the big chain stores or dodgy trademe parallel importers).

No offense to anyone who works at animates, but IMO buying anything from there is a last resort. I don't even care if they're cheaper, I'd rather support smaller stores like Hollywood who stock a decent selection of fish (catering for the enthusiast rather than just the easy bucks selling community tanks/fish to newbies) and actually have staff who know a bit about what they're supposed to be selling.

In these tough economic times I'd encourage others to do the same, don't make price the sole factor in deciding who gets your dollar, support those who support the hobby (not the big chain stores or dodgy trademe parallel importers).

I don't disagree with you in theory...but people living outside Auckland don't really have the luxury of going to HFF...unless they want to spend $20 just for shipping each time. And here in Wellington, Animates Kaiwharawhara actually does have knowledgeable and friendly staff (most of them). I've paid attention to how they treat newbie fish hobbyists who are buying their first aquarium. They stear them away from certain fish either because they are not going to able to provide them with the proper habitat or their are incompatible with the other fish they already have...even if this means losing money on a sale. That I respect a lot from a pet store.

Since I don't have a car, I can't regularly travel out to the other surrounding pet shops so I am pleased to have at least a fairly decent option close to me. Unlike the Animalz in Mirimar that wouldn't know a fishes' butt from its elbow.

I may try to buy my fish off of breeders/FNZAS members and my supplies off TradeMe in order to save some money and also potentially get better quality stock but I still support the store when getting some things.

I say if you think the staff is behaving inappropriately or just isn't knowledgeable, its best to raise this issue with the manager. You can also suggest to them that you'd really like to see more of certain types of fish in. I know they are a franchise, but I have had them offer to order specific fish in for me several times in the past.