frog identification

gem_scott

I was in Animates and saw a small very green frog, we were told it was a green tree frog but the woman who was selling it seemed confused (we just guessed that it could be a green/golden bell).

We have enough tanks and enough experience to keep both whistlers and bells (we have whistlers atm) so we put the little green gut in with our lil brown ones and thought we would just take him out when he got to big if he was infact a bell.

He isnt growing as facst as we would expect for a bell and we are still unsure.

can anyone identify him?

DSCF5135.jpg

DSCF5138.jpg

DSCF5137.jpg

He doesnt look like a bell to me but i didnt know we could get and sell green tree frogs legally in nz

As stated L. aurea. Has the gold stripe along the side---hence the name. and a smooth back whereas the southern bells have a warty back and no stripe. And as advised they will hunt whistlers in the wild. Don't forget that they are are only found in the wild in the upper north Island so will not survive outside down here. I will buy it off you to save your whistlers if you wish.

when i first came to NZ i was at a rivcer with some mates and saw these frogs. i made an idiot of myself saying " Dont touch it! its bound to be poisonous! look at the bold markings!" (which is dead right usually in Africa...)

course then i remembered that there arnt any poisonous animals in NZ :oops: :oops: :oops:

Never have i lived it down! :roll:

As stated L. aurea. Has the gold stripe along the side---hence the name. and a smooth back whereas the southern bells have a warty back and no stripe. And as advised they will hunt whistlers in the wild. Don't forget that they are are only found in the wild in the upper north Island so will not survive outside down here. I will buy it off you to save your whistlers if you wish.

That seems strange as we have always caught our golden bells in spencer park (they are minimised now though, cause of damn kids)

We used to go down and could have caught up to 20 adults per day and once got 300 tads in one go just by a couple of sweaps of a net.

If anyone wants them they do still have alot of tads there in season