Another fish lesson learnt today

bulldogod

aT 5.30 am, DO NOT LEAVE A GAP IN GLASS TOPS ON TANK. I got woken at 5.30 this morning by some loud banging in the house, jumped up and couldnt see anything then heard the noise again and sounded like it was coming from my fish tank stand, couldnt understand what it was then couldnt see my big Flowerhorn?Red headed cichlid? And couldnt see him behind the tank? Heard the noise again and knew he must be inside the stand somehow. Turns out that he had jumped out of a 10-15 cm gap I left in glass lids, gap was at front of tank and he had got over light, down back of tank and into the only gap in solid stand that was only 13cm. I couldnt get behind and had to rush around finding containers for water as needed it back for other fish , then siphon all water out and then try move the still heavy tank. Finally did it, took 1 and half hours,was expecting fish to be dead but pulled him out and thought Id put him in one of the containers with airstone and he started swimming around. Wow , I was shocked, still carnt believe that he survived. Never thought they could survive like that outa water.What a start to the day. :)

red2.jpg

newtank.jpg

I have also heard of this happening but the culprit was a very clever angel fish. He would herd the guppies/platies to the corner of the tank that had a small hole in the glass lid in the evening and then in the morning a few dead fish were found on the carpet. Slowly more and more fish disappeared till the pyscho angel was moved to a different tank. Clever fish. Angel is now very happy in a new home with a girlfriend.

I had a Chinese algae eater jump up on top of the lid of one of those small plastic breeding traps. Unfortunately by the time I found it I thought "Where did that twig come from and how did it get there?" Took a minute to register it was a very dessicated fish, having been directly under the lights for some time :-?

One of my SAE jumped out on Wednesday night. Still don't know how. My son was up watching tele at midnight and when he turned it off he could hear a funny noise. Searched around and saw the fish in between the tank and the wall. Thank goodness for nets with long handles! Shoved him back in the tank, fluff, dust and all. He wasn't moving really but apparently half an hour later he swam off. Still looks a bit scraped but is okay. No idea how long he had been out for.