What to do to an AR 380.

wagonman

I think they should be bog standard, out of the box.

You can add a heater only.

If you happen to have a tank that has two lamps, then so be it.

It is more of a challenge to see what can be achieved with an off the shelf tank as inspiration to others with limited space or budget.

You should be able to aquascape it with whatever you like in regards to rocks, driftwood, substrate, tacky ornaments and the like. My only no-no would be fake plants.

Another consideration is with the likes of the Aquastart that has UGF, which are not conducive to putting any growing medium in a tank, should you be allowed to not install this and just use a sponge filter instead?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

out of the box is ok, if it a box tank.

i was aiming at making the rules apply for people who have a cube <40l too.

so lets say 2 lights max, 11w max/light (ie no High output lights) filtration must be a stand alone affair, ie, H.O.B , shark filters (one brand), or the inbuilt filtration. but no canister filters/ external filters. with the UGF, you can remove it, if thats what you want.

Decor is up to the person doing it, you can have no plants at all and just be a zen garden aquascape if you wanted. fish or no fish, up to you too.

CO2 must be DIY style, again to keep cost down, and level the playing feild.

like zev said, you can add a heater, and aeration if you want.

Marks will be awarded for, style, aquascaping, innovation, and general presentation?

competition to start ?? 1st september? running for 3 months.

we need a email addy for someone who will judge the tanks, and to this address entries will be posted. 1st picture should be of the empty tank you are using,its specifications, and a Date-stamp so the judges can make sure everyone is starting at the same time. then from there, people can submit photos as often as they like, but a minimum of 1 per month, to make sure that things are going as they are meant to .

i wouldnt mind being a judge. just throwing it out there. dunna if Sharn would also want to do it? and maybe one other person who is interested, but wont be entering. Living art? Zev?

i can set up a hotmail addy for the use of this competition too. with the password to it available to those judging it?

Sounds alright to people? cos if it is then we can make a start on putting up a definative set of rules, and make a post somewhere for people to get details. and to sign up for the: Great FNZAS Small Tank Aquascape Challenge '09

This could be run through the this site along the lines of POTM, and it will have to run by the powers that be first, though.

So don't get too ahead of yourselves just yet in setting anything up.

Thanks.

Wow! Very impressed with all the enthusiasm and great ideas you are coming up with.

We're having a brainstorm (taking on board all your suggestions) here at Animal Antics about the fairest way to set up the competition - rules, registering, email address, judging, lighting, tank size and brand, before, progress and finished photos.

Judging - probably someone from Animal Antics, our Aquaone Rep and a moderator from FNZAS forums.

Think it would be good to officially kick off the comp on 1st September and finish 30 nov.

Animal Antics are plesed to offer 10% discount on AR380 and 126 tanks, plus accessories to FNZAS member s and competitors.

We'll be back soon with our thoughts. :D

i like that idea too twinkles!

i think having judges who know what they are looking for will make it better than just a POTM poll style. though peoples choice would be good to have as a runner up style prize?

*edit* is there a more PC way of saying runner up? lol sub-winner?

Peoples choice would be a great idea, maybe that could be run along-side the POTM in December?

I don't think I am going to be able to enter as I need to grow out the 50 odd BN in my small tank lol before I can start

No sweat Bedazzled - get Animal Antics to ship you a brand new one!

At the moment we are looking at off the shelf complete setups.

I will discuss this further with the powers that be and see what we can do in regard to other sizes and gear combinations, it may be that we could run one competition with multiple classes for entry.

out of the box is ok, if it a box tank.

i was aiming at making the rules apply for people who have a cube <40l too.

so lets say 2 lights max, 11w max/light (ie no High output lights) filtration must be a stand alone affair, ie, H.O.B , shark filters (one brand), or the inbuilt filtration. but no canister filters/ external filters. with the UGF, you can remove it, if thats what you want.

Decor is up to the person doing it, you can have no plants at all and just be a zen garden aquascape if you wanted. fish or no fish, up to you too.

CO2 must be DIY style, again to keep cost down, and level the playing feild.

like zev said, you can add a heater, and aeration if you want.

Marks will be awarded for, style, aquascaping, innovation, and general presentation?

competition to start ?? 1st september? running for 3 months.

we need a email addy for someone who will judge the tanks, and to this address entries will be posted. 1st picture should be of the empty tank you are using,its specifications, and a Date-stamp so the judges can make sure everyone is starting at the same time. then from there, people can submit photos as often as they like, but a minimum of 1 per month, to make sure that things are going as they are meant to .

I think these rules are great but I think glass tanks should be allowed to enter. I know this started as a off the shelf tanks only competition but you'd get alot more entrys if it was glass tanks too :wink: .