Juwel Vs Aqua One

Southerrrngirrl

Someone mentioned you need a different filter on a Juwel because otherwise the fish will die??!

I've rinsed/changed my filter media ONCE in the past year and a half and only had one fatal ammonia spike, (which was my own fault, of course!). Sure, an external filter would be excellent to have, but for lazy/poor/confused folk like myself the included internal filter runs just fine.

Although I do agree there are a lot of sponges. :lol:

I wouldn't trust an Aqua One built-in filter to take care of my babies unless I was obsessive about doing weekly water changes... and had a back up.

Btw: Everyone should have at least one back up filter and heater!! If your fish are important to you they are so worth it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foxjxa: I don't think you are lazy/poor/ or confused :D

I think your Lovely :D

I wouldn't simply run the Aquaone Tank Filter only , I found them bit of a Pain when it came time to rinse the Filter Wool etc...Would probably be ok if you only had small fishys.

I'm not fimilar with the Internal Filters on the Juwels so cant comment on them.

Externals are much much better though.

I have a little Juwel, and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is the algae growth between the glass and the box where the filter is, and you can't get to it. I know most people would just put a background on, but mine sits on a bench between two rooms, so need both sides. Other than that, I love it.

I like the Aquaone 620T that I have. Except the filter is pants and I have to clean it weekly.

I however do not like the all-in-one tanks.

Buying a plain glass tank and adding your own hardware is much better.

Yes I realise it is better to build your own but I'm not ready to do that yet. One day I will do it though, certainly not in this house though.

I like the juwels so much I set one up at the shop today. :lol: A rio 180. it looks awesome. i can post pics of it sometime if you like.

added 2x 3ft 18000K t5 HO tubes along with the stock 10000K and 65000K tubes.

my plants shall love it. :D

It is also running an eheim 2215, along with the standard filter.

I like the juwels so much I set one up at the shop today. :lol: A rio 180. it looks awesome. i can post pics of it sometime if you like.

added 2x 3ft 18000K t5 HO tubes along with the stock 10000K and 65000K tubes.

my plants shall love it. :D

It is also running an eheim 2215, along with the standard filter.

Sure. Love to see some pics. I think I'm pretty sold on the tank. Just gotta get the $$ :D

This is the tank I'm gonna do properly, lots of plants, good substrate with the sand and stuff. Can't wait.

Yes I realise it is better to build your own but I'm not ready to do that yet. One day I will do it though, certainly not in this house though.

Its easy as and we'll walk you through it. Im pretty sure its a hell load cheaper too.

The only real difference is that you choose your own lighting and filter.

All you need:

Plain glass tank

Canister filter

Heater

Lighting to meet your requirements. Only need mega lighting for mega planted setups.

and thats it. the light just sits on top of the tank. the canister sits wherever and you put it and place in the input and outputs. Job done.

My 3ft setup cost only $130 for the 150L tank, $170 for a 1200Lph canister, $100 for the light unit, and $40 for a 300w heater. thats only $440 new!

Its easy as and we'll walk you through it. Im pretty sure its a hell load cheaper too.

All you need:

Plain glass tank

Canister filter

Heater

Lighting to meet your requirements. Only need mega lighting for mega planted setups.

and thats it. the light just sits on top of the tank. the canister sits wherever and you put it and place in the input and outputs. Job done.

My 3ft setup cost only $130 for the 150L tank, $170 for a 1200Lph canister, $100 for the light unit, and $40 for a 300w heater. thats only $440 new!

That may be so Morcs, but I'm thinking big!! When I do eventually do my own tank it will be big. Our house is old, nearly 100 years old and I wouldn't trust the floorboards in it, despite that my current tank is right on the concrete piles of the house. I'd much rather have a concrete floor. We don't expect to be living in this house for the rest of our lives, hence why I feel it is easier to go with the smaller all in one type of tanks at the moment. Sure its more expensive, but easier in the long run. I'd rather just hang on and wait till we move into a bigger and better house (one that has concrete floors) then do the big make your own tank project.

What do we get a free airstone and checkvalve with?
What do we get a free airstone and checkvalve with?

oh. if the promo is still running, you get it with an air pump.

southerrrrrrrrrrn girl (i forget how many rrr's :lol: ):

i did find one small issue (if at all) with the juwels. as i put the gravel in, i noticed there was a small gap underneath its internal filter. That could mean that debris could get stuck there, so will need to be siphoned well around that area.

southerrrrrrrrrrn girl (i forget how many rrr's :lol: ):

i did find one small issue (if at all) with the juwels. as i put the gravel in, i noticed there was a small gap underneath its internal filter. That could mean that debris could get stuck there, so will need to be siphoned well around that area.

Many rrrrrrrrrr's ima southlanderrrrrrr :lol: Thanks for the tip 8)

Could of just been a certain batch but its deff the filter

and id love a 3 foot jewel but bit out of my price range !!!!

my 620 aqua one i think 90 litre is only a yr old and that does me i got that for 300 bucks !!!!!

Ya would die if ya knew what the pet stores pay for the tanks lol

and to the person who said about the original tanks, the ones with just glass lids they are a lot cheaper but then you need stand, I have my turtle in a 3 foot one ! so much easier to clean

All you need:

Plain glass tank

Canister filter

Heater

This thread is exactly what I needed to see right now! I desperately need to upgrade my 60L tank (long story, it is faulty and being returned to the manufaturer...kinda good though since I find it too small now). Anyway, I was seriously considering the Aqua One 850 and the Jewel. As a newbie, I wanted the reassurance of knowing that all the parts were there in those 'kits.' However, I was reluctant for all of the reasons mentioned already here. I want a tank with a cabinet and a hood and it needs to fit in a tight spot in my house so dimensions are important. I briefly considered having one custom made... but I seriously have no idea where to start...or finish! :oops: The lights, the filter... I am totally overwhelmed and have no idea how to choose, but I want room to grow as I get more experience.

So...are there people in Chch that make these cabinets/tanks/hoods? Are they really less expensive than the kits? How do I start the process? How do I choose the equipment? What other questions do I need to ask....? :-? :o :lol:

I appreciate any advice you all can give. :bow:

Jen

• 2 weeks later...

Any good Glasier will make you up a Tank to the Size you are needing.

Any good Joiner will make you up a Cabinet to the size you are needing aswell.

I have 3 x Aquaone Tank and Cabinet set up's,( Aquaone AR980, Aquaone AR620T and an Aquaone 620).

Absolutely love all of my Aquaone Tanks, never had any problems with them.

I have the 620 bit smaller than your t one

it was 6 months old i got it for 300, i didnt mind paying that as it was off a friend

I love the trickle filters i reckon they are great

I just use filter wool and wash it out seems to keep it clean enough

Thanks guys. :D In the mean time I did get pricing done for a tank, as well as a stand and hood made by a friend who is a cabinet maker and the T5 lights and truth be told it was going to be pretty pricey...although I realise I could do it cheaper if I just went with the basics! I was wondering if I should still go ahead but then this past weekend I was gifted a brand new aqua one 850!! I swapped over my fluval 205 canister, all the dirty media, gravel and water from the old tank and topped it up (double the volume of the old tank). The fish are doing great and the water chemistry is great so far. I can't believe how much that third tube adds to the light. Looks great!I added a few more plants with some fert balls and a huge piece of wood this morning. I couldn't be happier!

Now I am trying to figure out how to get the hood adapted for the canister tube inlets - I am not using the trickle filter at the moment (I may use it later with just some filter wool but I will never go back to just a trickle filter now that I have tried the canister - unreal water clarity!!). Any tips for converting the hood without damaging it too much?