I think I have swine flu??!!

darkfur

Gahhhh I have a fever, achy joints, woozy head and upset tum. Had the regular flu shot a few months ago making some of the more common strains unlikely. I hear that h1n1 cases are outnumbering seasonal flu cases. Have put myself into voluntary isolation, trying to avoid infecting people with whatever i have... (there is no ill-looking emoticon).

Anyone else got it?

Don't forget, having a flu shot does not prevent you from getting the strains of flu for which the vaccine was prepared, it merely makes sure you do not get as sick as you would have if you had not had the shot.

Good on you for isolating yourself. Take care, keep warm and keep up the fluids.

How does being a virologist help you survive flu? :-?

For the rest of you...

Signs and symptoms of the new Influenza A (H1N1) virus are similar to the symptoms of seasonal flu and can include:

+ fever

+ cough

+ sore throat

+ runny or stuffy nose

+ body aches

+ headache

+ chills

+ fatigue

Some people also experience diarrhoea and vomiting.

Also, like seasonal flu:

+ the worst symptoms usually last about five days, but coughing can last up to two to three weeks

+ some very young children, people with some long-term medical conditions, pregnant women, and older people, can get very sick

+ in rare instances severe illness and death can occur.

The World Health Organization says it will be difficult to tell the difference between seasonal flu and non-seasonal influenza A (H1N1). Most people will experience a mild to moderate illness and will be able to manage the symptoms at home.

The key messages are:

+ If you have flu-like symptoms, stay at home for seven days after your symptoms begin or until you have been symptom-free for 24 hours, whichever is longer.

+ If your condition worsens, seek medical advice by phone FIRST by calling Healthline 0800 611 116 or your healthcare provider.

me too

been stuck at home the last few days with a cold/flu, it sucks

my son had it last week, now i've got it, and i suspect my daughter will come down with it next week just in time for preschool to start :(

doesn't help that the high is 10deg today, i've got a hot water bottle up my jumper :)

How does being a virologist help you survive flu? :-?

For the rest of you...

Signs and symptoms of the new Influenza A (H1N1) virus are similar to the symptoms of seasonal flu and can include:

+ fever

+ cough

+ sore throat

+ runny or stuffy nose

+ body aches

+ headache

+ chills

+ fatigue

Some people also experience diarrhoea and vomiting.

Also, like seasonal flu:

+ the worst symptoms usually last about five days, but coughing can last up to two to three weeks

+ some very young children, people with some long-term medical conditions, pregnant women, and older people, can get very sick

+ in rare instances severe illness and death can occur.

The World Health Organization says it will be difficult to tell the difference between seasonal flu and non-seasonal influenza A (H1N1). Most people will experience a mild to moderate illness and will be able to manage the symptoms at home.

The key messages are:

+ If you have flu-like symptoms, stay at home for seven days after your symptoms begin or until you have been symptom-free for 24 hours, whichever is longer.

+ If your condition worsens, seek medical advice by phone FIRST by calling Healthline 0800 611 116 or your healthcare provider.

So, basically the symptoms are about the same as the common flus, the mortality rate is about the same, the infectiousness is about the same, the treatment is about the same and the recovery time is about the same.

Where's this everyone is going to die pandemic that I was promised?!?! :evil:

The main difference between regular flu and swine flu is the onset. Swine flu progresses rapidly over a few hours (not days) and although the symptoms can be the same, they are much more severe. Thus, if you have so little energy and can barely get out of bed...and you are practically incapable of performing regular activities...then its a good chance you have been swined.

I hate when the news does this...creates a panic over these little bugs. There was foot and mouth, mad cow, sars, bird flu, and now swine flu. There is the POTENTIAL for these diseases to become pandemic if they a) mutate into a form that can infect humans or b) become resistant to all antibiotics or useless against vaccines. However, the risk wasn't that high with these..and although I believe that we should be made away of what is happening, if the media are not careful about hyping the situation up too much then no one will believe it when there is a real serious threat. For god sakes...more people died of a regular cold/flu and SARS...and that number wasn't even close to car accidents or heart attacks.

With the way we are using antibiotics, and antibacterial soaps, and other meds...it is only a matter of time before this actually happens.

So instead of creating a bunch of hypochondriacs that will run to the doctor with any little sign of illness and ask for drugs even before their own bodies have a go...the media should stress the importance of building a healthy immune system, getting rid of that sterile-bubble attitude, and cutting down on meds.

Arg...*pulls hair out*

The thing the epidemiologists are worried about is swine flu mutating to give nastier symptoms before anyone gets any resistance to it, and also it developing resistance to tamiflu (some resistant cases have been reported overseas). At the moment it's probably about as deadly as seasonal flu (which does kill people on a regular basis) but flus are very quick at swapping genes which is why you need a different jab every year. I daresay the media are a lot more panicky about it than the scientists. If I was still a virologist the main bother it would be giving me would be 16 hour working days processing the larger number of samples. Epidemics are no fun for the people charged with testing for them! My heart goes out to my former colleagues at ESR.

poor kunekune

embarassing admision - my daughters nickname for 2 years was kunekune. It started when she was crawling and trying out new noises :oops:

With the way we are using antibiotics, and antibacterial soaps, and other meds...it is only a matter of time before this actually happens.

+1

i can't stand those adds for dettol spray, whats happening to people if we need to live in sterile invironments. Nothing beats a dirty house for building a strong immune system, and letting your body fight off the occasional cold without resorting to drugs. I never usually get sick at all, this is a rare indulgence for me lol

"Kills 99.99% of germs!"....yeah except that the 0.01% left is now a 'SUPER BUG' which will rapidly multiply and attack! hehe

poor kunekune

embarassing admision - my daughters nickname for 2 years was kunekune. It started when she was crawling and trying out new noises :oops:

+1

i can't stand those adds for dettol spray, whats happening to people if we need to live in sterile invironments. Nothing beats a dirty house for building a strong immune system, and letting your body fight off the occasional cold without resorting to drugs. I never usually get sick at all, this is a rare indulgence for me lol

poor kunekune

+1

I was never healthier than when I worked for a sewage treatment plant and had lots of low-level exposure to everything going. In my experience you don't need all those antibacterial soaps and things but you do need to wash your hands well. We had a rule you had to wash your hands for as long as it takes to sing Happy birthday. None of the highly germy places I have worked used antibacterial soaps although we used gloves where necessary.

This page was sent around through uni and it is actually really helpful at differentiating between your symptoms to decide if u have Swine flu or regular cold/flu (especially the 2 charts):

http://www.victoria.ac.nz/home/about/me ... #guideline

+ fever - Had that

+ cough - got that

+ sore throat - got that

+ runny or stuffy nose - got that

+ body aches - got that

+ headache - got that

+ chills - had that

+ fatigue - got that

Some people also experience diarrhoea and vomiting. - not got that

Got so bad I couldnt get out of bed, couldnt eat or sleep. :-?

AH CRUD! :(

This part was sent to us in a word document which I have cut and pasted directly:

1. What to do if you have the swine flu

If you have the flu, it is important to:

stay home and let a relative or friend know if you are at home alone

rest in a separate room that has good ventilation and is away from other members of the household

don’t share anything that may spread flu

drink small amounts of fluids often and keep your mouth clean and moist by cleaning teeth regularly

take drugs that relieve pain and fever, eg, paracetamol or ibuprofen. (Aspirin-type medications should not be used for children and young people.)

gargle with a glass of warm water and/or suck on sugarless hard sweets or lozenges for sore throats

use saline drops or nasal spray or decongestants for soothing and clearing the nose

• keep bedding and nightwear clean and dry if you are in bed

shower or bath regularly, or use a cloth to wash with warm water and soap and make sure you wash your hands often for at least 20 seconds, drying them well afterwards or use antiseptic rubs

apply skin balm or moisturiser to prevent your lips, nose and surrounding skin from drying out and cracking.

If you don’t feel like eating or drinking:

• try light fluid-type nutritional snacks such as chicken soup or perhaps yoghurt

• don’t worry if you can’t handle food, but keep taking fluids, try an ice block or jelly.

If you aren’t drinking enough, you may be dehydrated. You may:

• have no urine or very little, which will be a dark yellow colour

• feel confused or drowsy

• have dull eyes

• have dry skin that will have lost its elasticity (it won’t spring back when you pinch it lightly)

If you find it hard to breathe:

• sit upright

• contact your doctor immediately.

If your condition worsens, seek medical advice by PHONING Healthline 0800 611 116 or your healthcare provider.

When to seek medical advice

Seek medical advice from Healthline 0800 611 116 or your healthcare provider BY PHONE if you, or the person you are caring for, has:

• been unwell for three or four days and are not getting any better or are feeling worse

• a high temperature that is not responding to attempts to reduce it

• difficulty breathing or shortness of breath

• pain or pressure in the chest or stomach

• been coughing up bloody or green phlegm

• blue skin around the lips and/or blue skin on finger tips

• severe pain in the ear(s)

• severe vomiting

• difficulty waking up or feel disoriented or confused

• been experiencing fits or uncontrollable shaking

• started to feel better but then get a high fever and start to feel unwell again.

4 of the 5 in our family have had what the Dr assumes to be 'swine flu'. Very fast onset.

Yeah, my whole family got it too. Someone from Dads work was on that initial flight, so we were some of the first in Welly to get it. Dad has it the worse, but he has quite bad asthma too. I've recovered, as has everyone else but dad, but I went from totally fine at work to in bed vomiting in an hour flat.

I can't shake the fever, been hot as since Sunday afternoon. With a variety of other unpleasant symptoms. The tiredness is really debilitating, could easily sleep 20 hours a day. And feeling really disoriented. It's gross. :(

i'm nearly better today

just a persistent snotty nose and half deaf cause my ears are blocked. Only a few days of really feeling sick so i don't think i can say i had the flu.

Instead of telling them to stop shouting i'm saying speak louder! to the kids all day, makes a nice change lol.

ps the strawberry liquid panadol for kids is heaps nicer than tablets when you're sick.

I can't shake the fever, been hot as since Sunday afternoon. With a variety of other unpleasant symptoms. The tiredness is really debilitating, could easily sleep 20 hours a day. And feeling really disoriented. It's gross. :(

Are you getting much sleep? Because Codral is good, the Day & Night stuff with the pseudoephedrine in it if you can get it. Its a bit restricted seeing as it contains ingredients needed for making "P"! But the day capsules clear some sypmtoms such as a runny nose up and I find they make me relax and a bit drowsy so probably not good if you're working or driving but the night time capsules really knock you out allowing you to get a good nights sleep.