Heater stopped working

axolotl-danio

I have one of those cheap $20 masterpet heaters (250 watt in a 165 litre tank) and I have only had it a 5 or 6 months and now it has stopped working. The light goes on but the heater does not heat up. You used to be able to see the wire in it glowing at night and the tank is (currently) 20c. Do you think the fish (basic tropical comunity tetras, livebearers, angels cats etc) will be fine until I can get a new heater tomorrow? Also what is a good quality replacement heater that is reasonably priced?

Thanks all.

I have one of those cheap $20 masterpet heaters Also what is a good quality replacement heater that is reasonably priced?

Thanks all.

Cheap is one of the reasons you have this problem.SDont know what you paid for your fish but the 2nd most basic thing they need (after water) is warmth, ok my be 3rd after food as well

The best is Visi-Therm but there will only be a few old stock ones about and the manufactures wont answer my emails or I would try to get them here.

As to the 2nd best heater, I dont know, others will advise you Im sure

Also what is a good quality replacement heater that is reasonably priced?

Got oxymoron? As Barrie said, you get what you pay for, I've stopped buying those cheap aqua-one heaters and only buy Jagers now because the aquaones are inaccurate and don't last. When you're considering the price difference between heaters, consider the cost of the livestock in your tank.

Also, it might be a bit overkill on a 165L tank, but could be worth while if you've got some expensive fish, two smaller heaters are better than one bigger one, gives you some sort of backup if one dies.

Do stainless steel heaters have better heat transmition than glass ones?

They woud, but it's not really an issue, if it's producing at a rate of 300 watts in the heater element then heat is going to go into the water at a rate of 300 watts, there's nowhere else for it to go. :)

I agree David. I only use Jager heaters. They are expensive but last for years, keep an accurate temperature, and have thick glass so they are harder to break. I've only cracked one (through stupidity) and its worth noting that at least in that case, it shorted out and didn't give me an electric shock when I put my hand in the tank. I chucked a couple of Jagers out a few years ago that were about 10 years old and were working fine. I thought they had lasted well and needed replacing. As David says, look at the cost of the fish in your tank. Its not worth buying cheap heaters.

I suggest in a bigger tank using two smaller heaters. They are less likely to break down as they are not constantly going on and off to maintain the temperature and odds are if one goes the other will keep going and keep things reasonably warm until you can put things to rights

Make sure you keep the receipt! And keep it out of water and sunlight :wink:

Yeah like swimming togs. :roll: Don't you love it when you buy a pair of togs and read the label and it says something like, "Do not expose to chlorine. Dry flat in shade." :roll:

So yes, I think Caryl did mean to keep your heater out of water and sunlight. Best of all, never take it out of the box and store it in a hermetically sealed container.