Fresh Hens Eggs

The round end, where the air gap is, but this only stops them cracking when you boil them.

As Caryl says, it is the price you have to pay for having fresh eggs!

We try to get a bit of the shell off then get an appropriately sized dessert spoon between the shell and egg and try and dig them out this way by going around the shell.

The Chinese do a salted duck egg, which you boil on top of the rice, these are nigh on impossible to peel, and you have to resort to chopping it in half length wise with a chopper and then getting the dessert spoon in there to get them out - before you eat them you have to spend some time getting the little bits of shell off them, nothing spoils a good egg like biting down on a bit of shell!

Zev, you forgot about the 1,000 year old egg (pei dan)

Oh stop it Wok, you are making me hungry..... Jook and 1000yr old eggs, mmmmmmmm.......

Anyway, they are easy to peel, even if they are green inside!

What you can try is to run them (with shells) under cold water right after you have finished boiling them. As the egg cools, the inside shrinks but the shell has to stay the same size, thus the egg separates and is much easier to peel :)

You'll have to experiment with the length of time...mine are usually good after about 1 minute under the cold water, but it may take a bit longer...

poking a hole in the big end also releases some of the sulfur gas that the yolk produces which is primarily why I do it. The sulfur is what makes that dark ring if things go wrong. My observation has been that the little bit of water that gets in seems to loosen up the membrane a bit, but only in cooled eggs not hot ones. Those ones you just have to eat up as they are!

A lady used to buy my duck eggs to make those salted eggs, she bought heaps for chinese new year. She gave us one to try but I was too much of a wuss! My partner ate it. I don't think anyone has made my duck eggs into balut (partially incubated eggs) though. Have seen balut for sale in an asian food store down here so there's a market for it

mmmmm! Fresh eggs!

I saw a video on Youtube the other day of a guy demonstrating the easy way to shell a hard-boiled egg. He made a hole in each end of the shell, then blew in one end and the whole egg popped out the other end. I haven't tried this myself so don't blame me if it goes horribly wrong! :o :lol:

We recently joined a local organic food co-op. Normally I get my eggs at the farmers' market and thought they were fresh but the co-op eggs are incredibly fresh! I wouldn't be surprised if they were being laid in one end of the carton while I was picking them out of the other end! Lovely! :bounce:

I thought the dark ring was a result of the cooked egg not being chilled immediately after cooking?? I believe this to be true as whenever I boil eggs, I always immediately take the pot off the stove and sit it in the sink and blast it with the cold water. Never had the dark ring appear.

Not that I know if this works on fresh eggs or not because I'm not that lucky, but I always roll my eggs to sort of crush the shell and then peel it off, never get egg white sticking to the shell. But then again, this could be cos they are not fresh!

The dark/green ring appears from occurs from prolonged exposure to excessive heat (overcooking) like Caryl said, its completely harmless and it doesn't make the egg bad, just unsightly. Caused by the hydrogen-sulfide gas 'staining' the yolk.

If you don't chill your egg after boiling it and leave it a bit longer in the hot water, the heat trapped inside will continue to cook the egg usually resulting in the ring appearing. That is why chilling the egg after boiling is good...it does 2 things: stop the egg cooking, and causes the membrane to separate from the shell as the inside shrinks.

mmmmm! Fresh eggs!

I saw a video on Youtube the other day of a guy demonstrating the easy way to shell a hard-boiled egg. He made a hole in each end of the shell, then blew in one end and the whole egg popped out the other end. I haven't tried this myself so don't blame me if it goes horribly wrong! :o :lol:

Have you got a link to that? it sounds hilarious!