Filteration

petermc

Hey all!

While back i posted a question about running a 2nd filter on my tank and after some helpful advice a got a 2nd fluval 405 for the tank which has done wonders...the water is so much clearer! Now i want more :)

The question a want to ask is would running one of the bigger internal filters as well be of any benefit to me? (i have a corner where it can be hidden away out of sight) or would i be wasting my money?

My tank is 450L and it is what a would consider stocked and just want things to be as good as possible for the fish.

Im not looking at a alternative to water changes( i do 20% every 2nd day) i just want best possible water condidions i can get.

If there are any other options i could look at?

Thanks heaps!

Pete

I have an eheim internal (2012 i think) that is filled with just ordinary cheap filter wool.

Initially when i setup my african tank i didn't run it, but since i don't have a substrate in the tank the water seemed to collect a bit of small particulate matter - which it never did in my previous setup as there were lots of plants and gravel.

putting filter wool in the externals for some reason did not solve the problem, so i ran the internal with the filter wool and in a couple of days ive gone back to crystal clear water - just like i was used to.

but if you are unsure - run an internal if you have one handy and then if it picks up dirt you know its doing a good job and then you can keep in running. HTH

The xtra filter and resulting increase in flow will also make sure youo get no dead spots in the tank and you manage to filter more of the water and reduce the possibility of solid waste build up in a low flow area.

If possible you may want to see if you can position the filter so that it does put some flow through any area where waste may build up.

Lucid

MORE FILTERS! MORE FILTERS! :bounce: :bounce:

As others have said, the more filtration the better! It's a very wise thing to have a 'redundant' filter working on your tank. If your main filter starts getting clogged or malfunctions for some other reason, you can take it out and give it a really thorough clean without having to worry about putting your tank through a cycle - because you still have a fully cycled filter working away. And if you need to set up another tank (eg a quarantine tank) at short notice, you have a cycled filter ready for just such a purpose.

I run 2 x Eheim 2026 filters on my 200 litre tank and I will never go back to running a single filter again. I love the sense of security it gives me to have two (good) filters. (Each filter is apparently rated for tanks up to 350 litres.)

If you are concerned that the current might be too much for your fish, just make sure you aquascape your tank in a way that allows the occupants to get out of the strongest flow (using rocks, wood, large plants, etc).

Go for it! :D