Chamelions ?

Just to day I recived my membership pack for the NZHS and had a look through the magazine that comes with it and noticed that another NZ herper magazine has an article on keeping jacksons chamelions can we get these publicly or just in containment. :-?

Heaps of people sell them (and other species) in Canada but I wouldn't recommend most chameleons as pets though. They are amazing creatures and all and I would love to have one, but really the majority of chameleons don't do well in captivity. I think that they generally just dislike people. Most don't like to be handled and don't like the limitation of their enclosure. They also tend to get weird diseases or just stay skinny now matter how much and what you feed them. The ones that seem to do best in captivity and often breed are Veiled Chameleons. Not sure if you are a reptile pro or just starting out, nor do i know if Veiled chameleons are available in NZ, but that would be my advise :)

Ye thats what I have heard as well. Although I've known of a few people to really enjoy keeping chameleons and I have to admit, they would be awesome to watch, feed and to keep as long as the keeper has decent knowledge about them.

Chameleons?! I didnt know you could keep them legally!

Is there a complete list somewhere, where you can see what reptiles you are allowed to keep? Would be really interesting to see!

Pete

we have wanted that list now for a long time...

Jackson's Chameleons, as far as I'm aware, are not a containment species. But you do need permits to hold them. Any other chameleon species either is a containment species or doesn't even have ERMA approval, let alone an import health standard, but you can be sure that if they ever crop up, chameleons will be containment species. Most reptiles applied for that we don't already have will be containment from now on I believe.