Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

advise on pump please

Featured Replies

That was my thought too Ira. Pegwood said pump, then everyone replied assuming they meant filter. Which they may have but clarification is needed 8)

i assumed filter cause she said it was 18W :lol:

who knows. i shall wait for the answer

I don't see why that implies filter. I have water pumps here ranging from a couple watts to 100 watts.

  • Author

Hi, sorry for the ambiguous message! :-?

I am looking at Filter's here.

What about this one : Aqua one 104F maxi internal filter. Submersible. 2000L per hour.

My tank does have an undergravel but with having Africans going in the tank would that be enough or shall I play safe with a different filter.

With the way some Africans dig around in the substrate, I would not have under gravels in there.

If I had a 5ft with Africans I would get an FX5. They are chunky, messy fish and need as much filtration as possible. They also like a current (mine certainly did anyway!)

Yeah as I said in your other post undergravels and africans is no good as they dig them up making them useless I would remove it and keep it handy sometimes they are good for temp tank dividers.

I wouldn't go with an internal alone, it would probably work alright but I would be inclined to do alot of water changes and it would require cleaning quite often. I have found internals work quite well in the same tank as an external.

I have an FX5 on my tank and they are wicked, but I also ran it on 2 externals, you would only need one if you were going to have a light-medium stocking level.

Also again I am going to ask how many litres your tank is, I have seen 5ft tanks with as little as 200L how many litres it is is very important for fish stocking and filtration. If you don't know how to work it out just post the dimensions and we can for you.

The "fluval pump" pegwood was looking at was a fluval 404 I just found it on trademe and recognised the wording from the first post. A 404 would be a good start to filtering your tank especially if you brought the 2000LPH internal as well.

I don't think a Fluval 404 would be enough. I ran 2 of them (well, one 404 and another similar size of a different brand) on my 4ft African tank of 280L.

I agree. 404 wont cut it.

I have 2 405's on my 200L 4ft african tank.

The 404's are horrendous to get started too, making them a major pain and hassle.

  • Author

Hi, sorry thought I had already posted the dimensions.

Tank is 1200 long, 400 wide, 550 high. I have no idea how to convert to litres.

Thanks

Well I have successfully ran a fully stocked 4ft tank (240L) with a jebo 819 (1200LPH) with weekly to 2 weekly water changes and never had a problems? What aspects of filtration would make you suggest this filter would be insufficient? It would be turning over the tank volume at 4 times an hour (404 is 1300LPH empty around 1000LPH tank would only hold around 200L with rocks and not filled to top etc). I have also had no trouble starting my 404 I just pump that priming handle until water comes out the outlet and plug it in?

I am not saying that a bigger canister or 2 of them wouldn't be better but I am saying that a 404 would do the job and probably do it well, it would be even better with an internal filter to pick up any extra gunk.

Ah, but if you are like me and do not do weekly water changes a 404 won't cut it :wink:

Problems can get out of hand faster too (eg filter stops, for whatever reason, while you are at work)

Many who keep Africans do so with high stocking levels so I would feel safer with 2 filters but that is just my opinion.

Yeah a second filter is an advantage in case one fails, although I am yet to have that happen when I haven't noticed and fixed it without any losses it is still a risk.

I don't think that adding more filters means less water changes. We do water changes to reduce the amount of nitrates in our tank as that is the only way to remove them. The amount of nitrates in your tank depends on the stocking level in your tan, adding more filters will still only convert the amount of ammonia produced in your tank into the same amount of nitrates. Assuming you have a large enough bio load to convert the amount of ammonia produced in your tank the only thing adding more filters will achieve is to remove more gunk from the tank. This is of course assuming you aren't using any fancy additives as I have no idea what stuff is out there and don't really want to go down that road.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.