ok i wanna know how much your power bill is before winter

aaron11

Hi ya sorry about allt he stupid power threads but I need to know if there is a problem with my stuff I will keep it breif

Power bill before winter always around 400 units so under 100 dollars

power bill winter

700 units !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i nearly died bill 180ish 160 with discount !!!!!!

Have used dryer a bit here and there no electirc heating, new thermostat in hot water bla bla

Thanks

1. 3 foot turtle tank, with 300 watt heater, and elthiim filter and 2 foot light

2. 60 litre curved glass tank 2 x aqua one small filters and one 100 watt heater and lights in hood

3. 90 litre guppy tank, 150 watt heater, lights in hood and trickle fitler

4. 22 litre baby tank, lights in hood trickle fitler and heater 55 watt

How much a month do your fish tanks use?

maybe im gonna have to get rid of one but then i have no where to put the babies and they breed so much lol

Im gonna turn all the stuff off i dont use this month and see if that helps a bit.

thanks if u can let me know about yours ty

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine this month is 860 units, $133 + $100 for the lines co, so $233 all up. Wish i could pay $160 for 700 units, but we get extra ripped off here thanks to seperate bills for the lines. I worked out the most my tanks could use is $60/month, thats 5 heaters and a couple of lights, filters, assuming that the heaters run 2/3 of the time. Biggest cost is the oil heater to heat the house, we don't have a drier.

you could look at what temp your tanks are set to, and if any of them can safely be lowered by a couple of degrees. Every little bit saves. I cover the laundry tank at night with a massive pink batts blanket, because its freezing in there. This morning the edge of the cover was iced onto the window, thinking about just insulating the whole room properly instead.

omg id die at a bill that much

Thanks to the poster about the heaters i wil check the turtle temp maybe that can go down a bit

i did turn the others down a bit but when it gets too cold they drop down below 25 so i have them on 28 they range from 26-28

whats the lowest you can have them without affecting the fish anyone know ty ty

I would have to sit down, print all the accounts out (we get them online) and average them out as ours are read every second reading with estimates in between. The two differ wildly! :roll:

eg April was read at 103 controlled units and 607 24hr units. May (estimated) was 250 controlled units and 910 24 hr. This meant our April bill was $190 but the next was $295. The next bill ought to be way down as they assumed we would be home when we weren't :wink:

I know mines only about 60 bucks more than usual and I been using the dryer etc but not now, only if i naked and got nothing to wear LOL

Oh well we will have hobbies !!!! I see how the bill is im moving soon the hot water here is like acent so hopefully this other house has a newer cylinder !

Luckily my fish room is so well insulated, plus having 50 tanks which helps STABILISE the ambient room temperature I notice extremely little difference between summer and winter power accounts.

My fish room temperature is averaging 22 degrees all year round while outdie the room the temperature is down to 4 degrees on a frosty -9 degree winter morning.

With that said, my power Bill is only $160.00 in summer and $185.00 in winter. That also includes a clothes drier on the wet washing days.

:o:o

Our power bill came in at $104 this month after the 12% discount, and we (were, as recently as Sunday) running 4 tanks on that (80L cold, 2x 60L heated, 34L heated all with 8 hours a day lighting and all day filteration). I've put big fleece blankets over the tops of the heated tanks and drape them over the front at night when the lights are off. That way we have one 60L tank sitting at 28degrees with a 50w heater.

Aside from that, we use a gas heater to keep warm with an electric blanket on 3 at night to warm the bed, eco bulb lights to see, a washing machine to wash and an oven to cook, computers, a TV and a gaming console for entertainment.

I honestly have NO idea how a house could use $900 worth of electricity a month. Even my cousin with her young family only uses $300 a month. How is everyone else using so much power?! The mind boggles :lol:

Mine use to be like that just recently its gone up more

I turned my heaters down the minimum not using the electirc blanket as much

Also i have old hot water system here when I move next month hopefully its cheaper

I have been turning eerything else off at the wall apart from the comptuer as sometimes it wont go its still under warranty so I will take that in this week and get it fixed lucky i got 2

• 1 month later...

highest mine was 180 last month 130 but ive moved i think my hotwater was old in the old pace

and jolet gas heating is bad for your house and health, it makes the place damp, and also costs more per hour then an electric heater (i have gas) but the gas one is a nicer warmth

and jolet gas heating is bad for your house and health, it makes the place damp

Yeah maybe if you have it running for 8 hours a day without opening the windows a bit during the day (when you're out of the house) to air the place out. Honestly, we have no problem with dampness or mold. Actually this is the first house I've been in (in New Zealand) that DOESN'T have a damp/mold problem. The windows are wet in the morning and dry when we get home at night. No problems.

and also costs more per hour then an electric heater

I honestly find this hard to believe. It costs us $21 to fill a 9kg bottle that lasts us 3 weeks of heating, if we us it every night for 4 hours which we don't because it hasn't been that cold this winter. We have a small flat so it doesn't take much to heat the place up.

oh wow 21 bucks is good in auckland its over 30 now so yours is prob cheaper

but the carbon stuff the heater gives off is bad for you and gives bad headaches i am giving my brand new one brought about 3 months ago away after seing the mould it created in the old house

My new heater dont ask me what kind its half like an oil heater and half convection on low uses 25 cents an hour

plus we have a fire place which wood is so dear

Gas heaters have been banned in so many countries and they are gonna do it here too plus they only last a few yrs !