ok i wanna know how much your power bill is before winter

aaron11

on one of the US forums they were calculating how much it takes to run a tank.

Based on their figures It costs like $5 to run a 150L tank per month?

I believe that power prices in the US are much lower than ours. Also they tend to maintain a reasonably stable ambient temperature in their houses year-round, so they would heat their whole house in winter. Therefore the tank heater would only need to lift the water temperature from about 20 degrees to 25 (for example) whereas a lot of our houses drop to pretty much freezing overnight in winter!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my last power bill was 150 bux, for 2 people in a well insulated house using no heaters all winter, only hotwater bottles...

and i have one ~250l tank...

something sound wrong there? cos i thik it does!

YES, its too cheap.

My hot water and heating is Gas.

But my power bill was 280.00 last month. (thats only power, gas was another $120)

Two adults in the house. 10 heated tanks of varying sizes.

The bigger tanks are cheaper to run as they hold the temps better.

What people are forgetting is that the price of power has greatly increased over the last two years. Its a sad truth that its never going to get any cheaper.

Ive only used 369 units so by time meter reader comes it will be 400 but thats only for 3 weeks i worked out now im 14-15 units a day

for 2 ppl, tvs comptuers, electric blanket, fridge, stove, bla bla bla 4 heated tanks !

100 units cheaper than the other old place but the hot water there wasnt the best !

I just went through all our old energy bills. Here they are:

Aug 09 $135

Jul 09 $175

Jun 09 $95

May 09 $115

Apr 09 $95

Mar 09 $90

Feb 09 $120

Jan 09 $70

Dec 08 $115

Nov 08 $88

Oct 08 $155

Sep 08 $165

Aug 08 $135

Jul 08 $130

That's an average of $113 per month over the last 14 months. Obviously some of them are estimates and some are actual readings. I haven't bothered distinguishing between them because they all average out anyway.

Just to clarify: This is our total energy consumption, because we have both electricity and gas. We use gas for cooking and hot water, and electricity for everything else. For the first few months we lived here we had three people in the house, but now we just have the two of us (and one 200 litre fish tank!)

So actually it's not too bad given what some of you are spending on power bills! :o