Tank background + pics

si_sphinx

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

My tank with a concrete over poly background appears to be growing a brown algie on the parts which get the most light. I set it up about 3 weeks ago and am keeping malawis in it. The concrete was not sealed and the water ph went to around 8 and stabilised at that. The filter is a new sump which I have suplmented with an external canister filter which had been running on another cichlid tank so the tank has not gone through a nitrate/Nitrite shock. Any suggestions on what is causing the brown algie or how to cure it would be appreciated, although to be fair it is not that unattractive on the natural concrete finish.

Bill

My tank with a concrete over poly background appears to be growing a brown algie on the parts which get the most light. I set it up about 3 weeks ago and am keeping malawis in it. The concrete was not sealed and the water ph went to around 8 and stabilised at that. The filter is a new sump which I have suplmented with an external canister filter which had been running on another cichlid tank so the tank has not gone through a nitrate/Nitrite shock. Any suggestions on what is causing the brown algie or how to cure it would be appreciated, although to be fair it is not that unattractive on the natural concrete finish.

Bill

Photos of my background

DSC01652-1.jpg

DSC01651.jpg

my one has brown algae and green algae near the top but metal halides will do that it does look good though makes it look more natural i havent had any problems with the concrete raising the ph and the only thing i sealed mine with was acrylic paint

My tank with a concrete over poly background appears to be growing a brown algie...

My has the same thing but i think it makes the tank look a lot more natural and i have algae grazing cichlids in mine also so i like to have it there for when they need a snack :lol:

Only thing is i wish it was a green algae as that would look more natural.

Does anyone know if it is different sorts of lights that make different algae grow...? i want mine to grow green :)

Looking good Si_sphinx, love the trunk going to the top. Where did you get it? 8)

I found it in a big pile of drift wood stuck against a bridges foundations. Sawed the top off it and fits perfect. ive been looking for the bottom half of a tree, roots and all, for ages. roots weren't as long and big as i wanted but it will do until i find the right piece. :)