jewels dont agree with convicts!

REEVESTA

Hi all as the title says I just got my convicts and my large male jewel does not seem to like them. he chases them round and now they are hiding behind the filter.

Do you guys think this is just typical cichlid behaviour and they will sort their problems out?

ps:for those who dont know i just got the convicts today and have had the jelwels since last Friday.

Not surprised by the behaviour. You may have to try a few things, moving rocks around, take jewel out for a while. But once the convicts pair up the jewel will be in trouble.

How big is the tank?

Frenchy :D

there are two jewels and they are a pair a so are the convicts.

the tank is 120cm long it has a lot of rocks and have put two flower pots in when i got the cons

Sounds like typical cichlid behaviour, the jewel thinks the tank is his and you added some new fish into his turf. AS per usual when adding new fish, change things as much as possible, move all the rocks/pots/plants and even do a big water change etc.. If your really worried rearrange tank and introduce new fish just before lights out and then turn lights off to allow new fish to adjust before scrapping for turf..

Who knows if they will settle down, sometimes they do, sometimes they kill each other or the picked on fish spends its life hiding in terror..

Sounds like typical cichlid behaviour, the jewel thinks the tank is his and you added some new fish into his turf. AS per usual when adding new fish, change things as much as possible, move all the rocks/pots/plants and even do a big water change etc.. If your really worried rearrange tank and introduce new fish just before lights out and then turn lights off to allow new fish to adjust before scrapping for turf..

Who knows if they will settle down, sometimes they do, sometimes they kill each other or the picked on fish spends its life hiding in terror..

Today i will take the jewels out and put them in a bag then change the rocks around.

Sound good?

i had this problem in my 4 footer with 1m 2 f jewels (nothing else) lots of rocks etc, no matter what i did male always fought with females almost killing them several times, he eventually succeeded when i went away for a weekend so i gave up on the jewels

Try putting a tall row of rocks in the middle so they cant get to either side. :wink: (or less likely) This should stop them 'seeing' the other fish, and also keep them to their sides. Pot in each back corner, lots of rocks around that area and maybe ontop. None near the 'row of rocks'

Feed them in the front corners at the same time. (so none need to 'cross' the territory)

Make sense? :)

One prob with that. My mum gave me the tank when her turtle sadly passed away, and now i have the cons and the jewels in there, and the basking ledge comes out allmost half way so my arms arent long enough to reach under it and the food cant get to both sides with the fish being able to see it. :x

And now the cons have gone mad and now have control of 3/4 of the tank!

Had no problems with my jewel. He does boss everyone around despite only being a bit bigger.

My Firemouth used to boss my convict around until I bought another slightly bigger male con, no the 2 cons team up and having flaring matches with the firemouth. Great to watch, and no harm being done.

My Cichlids all share territory, its quite interesting. They have no problems and all hang out at the front of the tank together. I suppose they are all still small (around 2'')

Had no problems with my jewel. He does boss everyone around despite only being a bit bigger.

My Firemouth used to boss my convict around until I bought another slightly bigger male con, no the 2 cons team up and having flaring matches with the firemouth. Great to watch, and no harm being done.

My Cichlids all share territory, its quite interesting. They have no problems and all hang out at the front of the tank together. I suppose they are all still small (around 2'')

Mine are all about 10cm!

Yeah I would say they are getting along because they are small things may well change as they grow especially in a 3ft tank :)

Yeah I would say they are getting along because they are small things may well change as they grow especially in a 3ft tank :)

Yip. its gonna be interesting :)

At least (touch wood) my cons and firemouths arent pairs. pretty sure I got all males...