My Discus from Ron - almost 3 months on

Dave+Amy

It's almost three months since these little beauties arrived at my door step, all have healthy apeptites and VERY competitive during feeding time. They all wait by the Java ferns when I open the hood to feed them every morning and night.

Here's the snakeskin when he/she arrived: about 7cm

365179105.jpg

Snakeskin now: 10cm

365177703.jpg

My pigeon: 8cm

365178347.jpg

My Turq: 9cm

365177760.jpg

How do you get on keeping the planted tank clean when you feed discus tucker (or are the plants a background picture). I haven't tried feeding it in my tank which is pretty heavily planted as I didn't want to foul the water.

I cut the Discus tucker into .5cm cubes and basically each fish sticks to one cube until they finish and attack another cube - my Discus don't waste food lol I do siphon everynight when I do the waterchange (50%) and I have two HUGE SAEs to prevent algae growth and the GBAs clean up what the Discus miss so it keeps the plants and tank clean.

I only feed Discus tucker every 3rd night though - granule is staple diet aided by bloodworms, I am running low on bloodworms now

Thanks Flosty - I have days when I've contemplated about going barebottom tank for them (and the ase for me lol) to get the best growth, but I can't bring myself to rip my tank apart! I think the only bad thing about having pigeon blood line Discus is that peppering in planted tanks, yours are looking really good and clean! JEALOUS

AtomicHotdog - there is an old pic of my tank under the Freshwater section, haven't uploaded what it looks like now, I'll try to tonight if I get some time.

I have two external filters as it is on my 450L tank - one Fluval doing 400L/H and one doing 2000L/H.

But with Discus they can become stunted due to other Discus releasing hormones supressing each other's growth and I feed heavily so I have to siphon heavily lol if I get too busy with uni then it becomes 70% every two nights. I can tell the diff in my Discus' appearance when I get slack - they tend to go darker but after the WC they're much brighter in colour

and Dave thinks I have OCD it's like I HAVE to do a WC most nights otherwise I feel bad

Fine Phoenix due to your begging (probably wanting to check up on your dwarf sag lol), I could only find my horrible little camera so the quality isn't that good and I couldn't fit the whole tank in so I took a few from diff angles to give you guys the gist:

Here's tank shot with lights off:

365367735.jpg

Tank shot with lights on:

365367738.jpg

Left side of the tank:

365367743.jpg

Right side of the tank:

365367746.jpg