Cat/dog door installation

Ktttk

I would like to install a cat/dog door for my fox terrier. Job would require cutting a hole in a glass sliding door.

Who would I approach for a job like this? Does anyone have a person they can recommend? I'm based in Mt Wellington, Auckland.

Thanks in advance.

I need to talk to you about this

I will PM you my number

I can do them for you but there are things you need to know about it first

Are they important things we might like to share with the class?

I'm scared now that my catdoor will make my house fall down or something :o

I know some glaziers just cut the glass without telling people that cutting a hole in the glass compromises the structural integrity of the sheet. and then the really really old glass doors are made from really thin glass, so if your dog runs through the dog door, and is rough about it... the whole pane of glass could break. :o:(

Are they important things we might like to share with the class?

I'm scared now that my catdoor will make my house fall down or something :o

sit down now and listen or you will have detention :wink:

Dog doors in glass unless the glass is toughened is a total waste of time and money

Simply put, whereas a cat is gentle a dog is strong and reckless and runs through the door often breaking the glass and damaging the dog door.

Cat doors on the other hand are great for cats but dogs are simply too strong.

I have seen Chuiahuia break them as quickly as terriers.

Yes there is always going to be the exception and I am generally speaking.

See your home isnt going to fall down and thank you for being attentive :wink:

(dont forget what my trade is so we are the ones that both fit them and repair the glass)

I know some glaziers just cut the glass without telling people that cutting a hole in the glass compromises the structural integrity of the sheet. and then the really really old glass doors are made from really thin glass, so if your dog runs through the dog door, and is rough about it... the whole pane of glass could break. :o:(

sorry

Thats incorrect in a window/door situation, its the external force that comprises the structure ie; the dog

so if your dog runs through the dog door, and is rough about it... the whole pane of glass could break. :o:(

I disagree and know from experience. This does not require a dog door for the dog to run through the door and the whole pane of glass break.

I disagree and know from experience. This does not require a dog door for the dog to run through the door and the whole pane of glass break.

:lol:

I too once "made" a door out of a sheet of glass (be it a smaller one) :oops:

Verdict- take it away, and replace every single sheet of glass in the house with toughened 15mm glass :o

My sister got a cat door put in the glass pane in her door. I went to see her but she wasn't there so I reached through and unlocked the door :lol: 8)

Be careful

My sister changed her lock so it needs a key from both sides now

so your telling me with all your experiance (I have 42 years in the trade) that no outside force broke your glass?

come on

when it slammed shut

my point exactly

Glass needs an outside force to break it, the hole in it dose not weaken the glass

I have holes cut in glass in my factory for over 20 years with out any of them breaking.

All glass needs an outside force.

Those that belive that the cause of the break should come and work for me for a week and every day people phone up telling me the reason their glass broke (with or without a cat/dog door in it). Wind, slamming and rocks are the most common reasons.

the glass will never break without an outside force

The type of outside force or impact can break either

I have a tool that with almost no force at all can break a piece of glass whereas at other times others may hit the glass with a hammer and not break it

Glass has the same strenght wether there is a hole in it or not but a hole in it may mean that the outside force (in this case a dog ) can have better access to the glass in order to exert force on it.

Im beating around the bush I know but the thing to understand is that glass itself has a greater impact strenght than steel although steel will only dent where as glass wil;l break

most if not all modern cars have the strenght of the windscreen as an important part of the strenght of holding the cars shape when it over turns

That's true actually, you know, I forget the make of car, but they replaced the glass to special double-coated-plastic-lined-with-a-cherry-on-top glass and it made the safety rating go up a whole point (out of 5) because it was less likely to crush on a rolling impact.

Glass is pretty amazing stuff, it can take a surprising amount of abuse.

thats very interesting, with it being more dense than steel then it will be more brittle? I worked with granite for a while & it would also shatter like glass if you knew where to hit it.

yes

The strength is in the impact. Once the damage is done, the glass (of course) is damaged far more than steel.

When you look at it in this fancy, we put huge forces on something that is only 5 or 6 mm thick. Steel would bow and bend to the point that the edges would need to be reinforced with large bracing. Yes, you could weld it which you cant with glass

Im involved doing tests in with double glazed units into timber windows and at the same time they also tested single glazing. The test involves having a wind tunnel try to suck out the glass in these frames. 170 knots is called extreme and these achieved 165 knots before the frame in the window started to bow which could have resulted in the glass coming loose. The test was stopped at that point and the frame modified. Next time it will pass, there is no doupt about that. Just think, a large piece of 6mm glass that is roughly 1800mm x 1800mm with that sort of force and still it didnt break

I honestly love this trade and the research Im involved with.

Unfortunately as in all trade and professions, there are those that are only interested in getting the bucks and doing cheap shoddy workmanship. You the consumer that buys on price only is the problem that allows 2nd grade workmanship exist. we all need to see what we are getting for our dollar which is why I needed to talk to and explain the pros and cons of the dog door.

Cat doors are great but dogs are just too strong

I thought he said the dog broke the glass? external force being the dog?

or in my case - me skating straight into the glass. force being me :lol:

Actually it was an internal force, the dog was inside going out...