Tank Setup Log. Conversion from S.American To African

phoenix44

Think I might keep reading and learning from what you and others have done or suggested THEN set my African tank up......in the meantime I can get all the schist, oyster grit, etc ready :wink::D

I've been wondering how you avoid dead spots in amongst all those schist layers where food, fish poo, etc might collect and start polluting water without having to add a such a strong current that the fish will just hide and never be seen? Or is that a dumb ass question lol :oops: :o

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is probably more current in this tank with 2 fluval 405's than there will be in most tanks ! lol.. this one is only about 200L and is 4 ft long. 2600LPH from just the filters. :o

i feed them really little, and make sure they finish it all. do that a few times a day.

I got a bristlenose for the tank today. Im hoping it survives, as none other have.

also got some oyster grit, but i need a stocking or something i can shove it in.

pH in the tank is now 7

:bounce: Its good to see that you have got another bristlenose. If you can keep this one alive i will send you a dozen GBA as a reward F.O.C.

I have a guy I clean his tank I always tell him he should get driftwood for his BN but says he hates the look lol. and its been alive the past 1 and a half years with no wood. most GOOD QUALITY sinking foods contain "wood" in them the jbl stuf is awesome!

Wont last long without wood in there :o

Will it?

I dunno... Ive heard of people keeping them in african tanks with no wood. As long as he eats his algae tablets, that I drop in at night (hikari, and tetramin) he should be alright, as I think the hikari ones have wood in them.

I dunno... Ive heard of people keeping them in african tanks with no wood. As long as he eats his algae tablets, that I drop in at night (hikari, and tetramin) he should be alright, as I think the hikari ones have wood in them.

Nah, just put a few small pieces of wood behind the rocks :)

oh 2 new posts. :hail:

:D

if he/she isn't happy Ill know pretty fast. the food does have wood in it.

I love wood in tanks - had 6 pieces in this tank before it changed continents :o :lol: - but not in an african tank.

maybe i can hide a small piece of wood somewhere, and pretend it doesn't exist D1990.

Wont last long without wood in there :o

Will it?

And the wood will possibly counteract the required pH - do others have BN's in an african tank ?

Personally I reckon you should get rid of those horrid blue fish (I will give them a home if i must, :lol: :P :lol: ) and add more bristlenoses, :bow:

The wood would affect the ph if there was heaps of it but a couple 10cm(ish) pieces hidden in the rocks shouldnt change it should it?

a couple? you're pushing your luck now. :lol: ha ha. he shall get one piece that he can use. Ill order that hikari panaque food for the plecos and that should keep them thrilled.

a small piece of wood will not change the pH, as the water should be well buffered.

pg 10 on this thread now. another 64, and it will be longer than the conch's red sea max thread :lol: :bounce:

Another update - thanks for the advice with the GAE's mystic and others - man those fish ate all the algae of the rocks! :bounce: Ottos seem happy as too.

Im pretty stoked too come to think of it, and my tank shall have its first visitors tomorrow! :bounce: :D

Your tank is looking fantastic! The dems are gorgeous.

I have one piece of driftwood in my african tank hidden behind the rocks for the BNs. They seem happy enough with that. They're growing well and have been in there for about 2 1/2yrs. I have trouble getting sinking pellets down to the BNs because the pellets generally get gobbled whole on the way down by large giraffe or red top mouths.

My yellows are holding for the first time. I got them as babies from malawiman last year. Can't wait to have heaps of little yellows like your tank.

I am considering putting just 2 julichromis maleris in the tank with these fellows, just as an oddball in the mix. Any thoughts on this?

I know they are from different lakes.

What are the size and temperament differences with maleri's and the transcriptus? Many thanks! Is it easy to distinguish the sexes?

Any preferences for one over the other?

Thanks! :bounce: