May 4, 200917 yr comment_304359 I have two males and two females in my Discus tank...did my daily waterchange last night and sucked up a big clump of BIG orange eggs which I'm assuming to be from my GBA (?) and saw the male shoot off - probably sacred by the big siphon. What can I do to encourage them to breed again without having to set up a separate tank? I don't know much about them...admittingly Report
May 4, 200917 yr comment_304362 I would do nothing different. From my experience once they start breeding the are hard to stop. Report
May 4, 200917 yr comment_304364 If they've spawned once they should spawn again without any encouragement, at least that's my experience with normal BNs. I've found the best thing to do is nothing :lol: Report
May 4, 200917 yr Author comment_304377 Would I have to feed more veges? (I'm a bad owner..they don't get much greens I have to admit, they're on spirulina discs and bloodworms and discus tucker ) What veges do ppl recommend - preferably ones I can leave in for a while without clouding the water or float. I don't have the time to separate them from the main tank but wouldn't mind some GBAs for my Angel display I'm setting up for algae control..saves me precious pennies from buying some. Report
May 4, 200917 yr comment_304459 They will be fine, 3-4 weeks, a little Barry White, a cold water change and you should be good to go. as for food Zucchini works well, pull it out before it goes soggy, oh and peas to keep em regular :oops: :oops: :-? Report
May 4, 200917 yr comment_304464 Wouldn't do the Cold Water Change Amy if you have them in your Discus Tank :roll: Not to sure the Discus will enjoy that. Zucchini would be my food of choice can be in the tank for ages and not cloud the water, peas are good too. Report
May 6, 200917 yr comment_304773 Wouldn't do the Cold Water Change Amy if you have them in your Discus Tank :roll: Not to sure the Discus will enjoy that. Zucchini would be my food of choice can be in the tank for ages and not cloud the water, peas are good too. OOPs didnt think about the discus :oops: not being a discus person :oops: :oops: Report
May 6, 200917 yr comment_304781 Seriously, now they've done the deed once, I wouldn't do anything unusual, just watch them and they'll make babies. If in a month they haven't done anything, then do a cold w/c and they'll be at it 24hrs later. Report
May 6, 200917 yr Author comment_304803 cool I'll buy a few Zucchinis to keep them happy I haven't seen my other male in ages (3/4days) could both of the females dropped simultaneously? And would it matter as one of the females is a direct sister to both the males? Report
May 6, 200917 yr comment_304927 Line breeding if it works inbreeding if it doesnt no worries Navarre Report
May 7, 200917 yr comment_305121 feed them some blood worm every now and then, and just normal water changes. As long as the tank is well airated (which I assume it is with the discuss) they should be sweet. If you do accidentaly catch the eggs again put them in a breeding trap with an air stone and some methblue and they will hatch in a couple of days. They are hardy little orange balls lol Good luck Report
May 7, 200917 yr Author comment_305133 mine gets bloodworms every 3rd night (Discus tucker every 2nd night and spirulina discs every 1st night).. I thought I would've damaged them when I siphoned them up last night but yeah they were orangey coloured so they would've been fertilized already? What do you feed them on after they hatch? Just veges? Report
May 7, 200917 yr comment_305136 microworms, zucchini, cucumber, bbs, algae tabs. anything really, just in little amounts. Main thing Ive found with bns/gbas to get them breeding is having a good cave. I found driftwood with a hole drilled on a slight downward angle so eggs cant fall out if theyre not attached properly, worked a treat. The male wants to be able to spread his fins to grip onto the sides of the cave. This way hes secure and can decide who enters etc. normally bred or had eggs laid within a couple of days of adding a cave. Feeding bloodworms at night normally got mine breeding to. You can also pickup the cave with eggs and male and put into another tank if you like. theyre pretty hardy lil fish Report
May 9, 200917 yr Author comment_305331 the piece of driftwood the male picked as his 'cave' is quite huge with only a small gap in the front so the Discus won't be able to get to them but he shares that cave with my 10 chain loaches I wish I had the time to separate them and grow them out separately :roll: I'll let nature take its course and see what happens Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.