keeping saltwater fish to eat

fishbreeder

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get back to the point. A number of fish species are raised for food in asia but they are freshwater varieties. I don't think many marine fish are commercially viable to raise for food. Salmon would be an example that is viable. To the other matter---nothing is compulsary, if you don't want to eat fish, or pork or mutton birds-----please don't, but do accept that other people may have a different value system and their beliefs are as valid as anyone elses.

Bleeding Heart politics aside.

I would imagine that the cost of any enterprise in terms of plant, consumables, and unknowns would mean that the

economic viability of such a scheme would be about the same as getting a tinny and catching your fish wildcaught,

I know what I would rather.

Are any of you aware of the Failed bid of recreation fishers in the Kahawhai legal challenge and the rammifications to our fisheries as a whole, as well as the priority commercial enterprises have over you.

And who has major holdings in commercial fishing.

By the way. I'm looking out at my very pregnant ewes.

My daughter knows that she will enjoy the lamb. Dead and alive.

sorry i forgot you were asking about saltwater fish, the pacu is freshwater.

It is a vegetarian relative of the pirahna, sold in pet shops as a wee fish, then some months later the idiot unwitting buyers discover it has morphed into an enormous 60cm+ fish they can't give away.

It would be feasible as an experiment to grow and eat a fish, but won't be a way of saving money.

• 2 weeks later...

its a move the comercial fishing industry is looking at to catch fish then grow them to a larger size in captivity as "new" methods of fishing(danish anchor seining) permit many fish to be caught still alive and in good health(vs trawling) without the damage to the seabed from bottom trawl rollers and no accidental dolphin catches (happens heaps while trawling) its not sustainable but a lot better than what is currently happening