keeping saltwater fish to eat

fishbreeder

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a pet paua once.... he was a great glass cleaner but didn't grow all that much. The old seahorse place in Napier used to do crayfish and paddle crabs among other things. I imagine crabs would be quite easy since they eat nearly anything

well that just bums me out. thought i could grow some in a tank. oh well

You could, but you'd probably get better returns on your thousands of dollars by buying a boat to go fishing with. There's a reason fish aren't farmed in fish tanks.:)

I seem to recall that koi carp are the most suited for backyard aquaculture, which aint gonna happen in this country. Tilapia are commonly used overseas too but you'd need a stonking great tank. Oh and one of my books says that overseas people eat moonlight gouramis... which is a shame

well that just bums me out. thought i could grow some in a tank. oh well

you can but on a larger scale than you are thinking, and then the costs outweigh the benefit. Depending what you catch and how big it is, I like the boat charter option - its fun as well as (sometimes) productive.

Eating yur pets - EWWWWWWWWWW! :o:x:cry:

Don't eat NEMO - he's your friend . .. . :D Funny - I agree with you mystic - i could never eat a fish i raised in an ornamental tank. BUT - if i could work out how to get crayfrish breeding in a large tub, trust me, they'd be on the menu every night . . 8)

not eating pets mystic, same as eating chicken, pigs, sheep or beef. people raise then then eat them. same idea really.

mmmm crays how to breed them in captivity?!

fish is not cheap so just thought it might be an idea, esp if they BREED!

the other thing you would need to consider is temperature - you'd need a chiller i reckon

You could, but you'd probably get better returns on your thousands of dollars by buying a boat to go fishing with. There's a reason fish aren't farmed in fish tanks.:)

not quite true, there is a kingfish farm in ruakaka. the site used to be the old marsden b power station & if i remember what they said on the documentry it requires 1,000,000 cubic metres of water per hour. the old power station had a cooling system with this capacity, i think they said it was a 2.4m diameter pipe that sucked the water straight from the ocean. i may be getting confused with the paua farm they have also set up but it was something like that.

As a very Heart-felt Animal-lover, I would never eat my Pets! :-?

I dont eat most meats for a start, and I dont raise them either. And if I did, I still wouldnt eat them. :) I love my animals too much to do that to them. Ive had Pet Sheep & Chickens, and I didnt eat them, LOL!

Sorry, to me, a real Animal\Pet-lover, would NEVER eat their Pets! :evil:

Some do - I DONT and DONT agree wif it. (JMO) :evil:

You go ahead (if you do) and eat yur pets! No skin off my pets (I mean back!) :o

Mystic - there is a total difference between raising something specifically to eat it (as he is suggesting here) and keeping a pet and eating it. Just because you raise something (feed it and give it shelter) does not mean its a pet. And you can be an animal lover but still eat animals and animal products - its the way they are despatched that is important - as long as its humane then its fair do's.