boring looking tank!

JarrenB

hi all, my 3 coldwater tanks (soon to be 4) are very boring looking with just gravel and fake plants, I figure that if there boring for me to look at they must be for the fish as well!

2 tanks have goldfish and one has some Zebra and Leopard danios.

I think maybe some driftwood, rocks and live plants could look nice but don’t really know where to start! :D

- the tanks at the National Aquarium with tree roots coming down look great, can this be achieved with smaller tanks.

I have began to upgrade tank 1,

before

2704015110105048709dvTJsP_th.jpg

Now

2010194750105048709ZJIGuN_th.jpg

yes ive added driftwood, live plants but I still have 2 more (soon 3) to upgrade so keep the ideas coming

(I don't mind people PM'ing me but why not post it as it may help others out too!)

you are right, it was dead boring. Starting to get some character to it now tho. I'd just add some interesting stones, rocks, small pieces of driftwood. Form some caves and get some bottom dwelling fish. Then you'll be satisfied for a while.

nice change jarrenb

the drift wood is a nice shape in that tank

by moving it slightly to one side will allow you to add some small rocks or a cave

some small growing plants in the front will balance the plantings

remember the plants will grow

well done

Looking good Jarren, if you want some moss let me know and I will give you some.

When you post your images from Webshots, instead of posting the 100 pixel image, click on the 600 pixel option under where it says Link to this picture, then your images will come out this size:

You do not need to add the Img tags to the pasted link either, they will work ok without them.

2010194750105048709S600x600Q85.jpg

Yes that sounds great, :D

The more plants the better as I will have 4 tanks as of Wednesday

Out of the 3 current tanks only one (the one above) has live plants.

Also my tank that’s coming from Auckland on Wednesday is just that a “tank” it will have no gravel etc.

what is the best form of substrate for plants to grow in.

I am thinking of getting a better form of filtration but not sure what to get I did have a hang on the back filter but it pushed all the fish to the bottom (my brother has it now)

Substrate wise, I use gravel (don't tell anyone - but I get it from the beach, either Whirinaki or behind where we have our meetings). I have been using Dalton's Aquatic mix, but am going off that as it seems to contribute to algae problems a few years down the track.

I am going to redo my 400mm cube with JBL Aquabasis Plus and see how that goes - it is currently a green algae wonderland at the moment...

I use HOB filters on two of my two footers, they are fine, you can turn the pump speed down on the top, and if you have the water level up so that it is only about 10 - 15mm from the bottom of the waterfall bit, it doesn't seem to create such a current.

I have both AquaClear and AquaOne, I prefer the AquaClear as it has a basket thing for the sponge and you can add more biological media (ceramic noodles) to it. The AquaOne has cartridge type filters, I only use the dacron type one, removed the carbon filled one and filled the back cavity of the filter with noodles.

I will bring the plants to the AGM, how did you go with the Paradise fish from Woodville?

• 8 months later...

Anchor some Java fern to a rock so they can't remove it.

I get oxygen weed from the local river and add that. It doesn't matter if the goldfish eat it, or uproot it as I go and get more - free! :bounce:

Try establishing plants in pots first then transfer them to the goldfish tnak once their roots are established.