Eskimo should be changed?

smidey

oh for crying out loud... not another crazy hoot who wants to be all PC. :roll:

its ridiculous.

my mum is a child psychologist who got asked not to teach the kids at her nursery the song "baa baa black sheep". she was instead supposed to say rainbow sheep. she course had a fit and told the people that teaching kids that the word "black" was inappropriate was racist in itself.

for me this falls into the "this is how our culture sees it" category as we do not see it as offensive at all. I personally don't think it should be changed but can also see how it is offensive to them. there are many cultural differences out there & it should recognised as that. its like us going to areas that have toilets to squat over, do they change their toilets for us cause we prefer to sit down or would islamic beliefs be thrown out to suit a tourist? No!

I find the fact that no-one has mentioned my English heritage (about 12 grands back) as being insensitive and there fore racist... please include the English in all this (implied swearing avoided) :oops:

could you also stop using the term English Breakfast Tea

As some one said already, we don't see a lot of Inuit people here so we are not familiar with their cuture or sensitivities. We are however familiar with African American sensitivites and would not think that making a black version of the confectionary and calling it a nigger baby would be apropriate. I think they should admit that they made a mistake and fix it.

the word is only offensive to that lady so far and maybe other innuit who haven't seen it yet

the costs involved in changing the branding, packaging etc and the subsequent rebranding advertising that eskimos are now called something else would be fairly substantial

i can understand her being offended by the name but to change something for one person is a bit over the top

putting the name kiwi on something you shine your boots with is probably worse than the name eskimo on a confectionary

There are a lot of terms which are commonly used but are actually offensive to those involved. Chinaman is derogatory but is commonly used and as my best man used to say, you don't hear people talk about a Japanman. I don't see it as PC, I think it is a chance for us to stop insulting people.

My friend told his liberated partner that he was going to go down the manhole and fix the leaking waste pipe which had turned the area under the floor into something not nice. He was reminded thatit should be a person hole and promptly declared that it would be that when someone else climbed into the mud and gunge.