T5 lighting interfering with tv

Mr McFish

Ah, I have that problem too. It's a major problem with sky. It happens because the light is on the same wavelength as the remote. It's ugly, but tape a toilet paper roll to the incoming sensor on your TV and it'll stop it. Energy saver light bulbs do it too,

I think what mcfish is getting at is the tv reception is being interfered with by the the light?

If so the interference is because T5 fluros use a high frequency ballast which will be close to the frequency of the TV one signal and it is the electrical noise from the bulb that is interfering with the tv signal.

Is it a DIY setup?

Interesting...Ballast might be giving off heaps of radio noise. The frequencies of TV stations in NZ range from somewhere around 60 mhz to 700 mhz, so I'd be surprised if it's interfering with all of them?

Try wrapping some aluminum foil around the ballast.:)

In short the bulb works buy having a high voltage across the tube, then electrons jump from one end to the other on there way to the other end of the tube they hit some mercury atoms, causing photons to be released.

Then the direction of the electron flow changes and it start again. In a high frequency ballasts this is happening at 16-40 Khz.

The result of having electrons moving up and down this tube is RF noise that may interfere with your TV signal.

It will be something wrong with the ballast or ignitor, you'll need to get it serviced or replaced to fix the problem. All electrical item's sold in NZ have to comply with electrical standards, part of this is not generating electrical interference, therefore if it's doing it, it must be broken.