T5 lighting interfering with tv

Mr McFish

Oh ment to say exchange yea they will do that. I will be happy if I do get new bulbs tho.

oh cool. so an exchange is going to happen then. I was going to organise it if i could if there was a problem. changing the bulbs too should not be too much of an issue.

I thought you were talking about the t5 HO lights not the ones that come with your juwel. so then there is nothing wrong with the light per say.. its just unfortunate that it is interfering with the reception of tv1.

I'm out of ideas but can look into the matter more next week after my exams if you like?

I have looked into it some more and the problem is the high frequency electronic ballasts, these have a lot of RF noise (radio frequency noise) the international standards that we use here in NZ for them is not very strict on RF noise in this kind of appliance, so there was and is no fault in the appliance, contrary to what you have been told. You could try warping foil around the ballast but I do not recommend it as a electrician.

• 2 weeks later...

The standards are quite strict, its just that most of the stuff that comes in doesnt comply.

If it is doing that contact the ministry of economic development (med.govt.nz) as they handle RFI and energy saftey issues.

It could be coming out the power cable and into your antenna system that way rather than being radiated to the antenna, but really both paths should have filtering in the ballast so its a problem in either case.

That is unless you are one of the people that has a noisy crap reception which a small amount of noise will have a massive effect on it. In which case there could be nothing wrong with it. TV1 is usually the strongest so long as you have a proper antenna, if you have an indoor one then you only have yourself to blame for it.