What to look for when buying an External Filter

LYNDYLOO

I'm looking at buying a couple of External Filters,

The big one I'm looking at does 2400L/H with a built in UV system, I've just been to the petshop and the guy there tells me this filter couldn't do this amount of litres an hour and be filtering it efficiently, is it possible for an External Filter to filter 2400L/H and do a good job or am I better to get one with less litres per hour.

He also tells me that Aqua Ones and Fluvals are no good.

All I'm wanting is a good filter to put onto my Discus Tank which is 215 Litres, I will be disconnecting the Aqua One built in filter, have to say it doesnt do a terribly good job.

I dont no anything about Eternal Filters so any help would be great.

Lynda

lol is Grant telling tales :)

The filter should be designed to effectively filter even doing 2400LPH in theory the bigger the flow the more times the water goes through the filter the more your water is filtered.. My FX5 is rated at 3500LPH and does a very good job of filtering a big messy african tank.

I like aqua one filters, and fluvals are good too (but pricey) I have 2 aqua ones, an FX5 and a 404 (my least favourite) I think brands and stuff are all down to personal preference, there are some out there who will only buy eheim (probably the same people who only get their car serviced by dealers and only buy genuine parts) because they believe they are the best and they will get a longer life out of the much higher purchase price.

I would stay away from all the random new Chinese imports. They maybe copies of other popular filters but I would be waiting for them to be around a while be supported for parts and also see what people think of them after they have been using them for a while. There are some cheapies that are around and work well aqua one and jebo (filters are ok I find the taps are a bit weak but I am rough) to name a couple.

I don't think you need a 2400LPH filter for your tank, your tank is only 215L sure it would be awesome but an overkill. Ideally you want to filter your tank so your filters turn over 4-5times your tank volume an hour, so a 1200LPH filter (with media only flowing roughly 900LPH) would do this by itself. Biologically I don't think you will need any more bio media than what a 1200LPH filter would take, with your regular water changes you should be fine. The UV is down to personal preference I don't own one or have I ever been in a situation where I wanted/needed one but others may swear by them.

Good luck :)

I've got one of these http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1110 on my 440, so it'd be fine on your 215

You don't hear of many people using this brand, but mine's been great so far. Has built in UV. The self priming works well, no pumping needed when cleaning :) Got mine from World of Water in Hams.

Do you really need UV?

As long as you don't do anything silly and keep your tank maintained, I really think you don't need UV.

If you don't need it, it will save you money.

I only use Fluvals for External filters, great in my opinion.

I had the aquis (aqua one?) 2200 on my 450 litre discus tank and it work well. I have moved it to the eel tank and now have the fx5 on the discus tank. The water flow rates not a problem and the tank is healthy. Water flow slows when the filter is clogging and I would imagine the quantity and type of media affects the flow rate anyway.

any filter that is backed up with a warranty that you can rely on claiming is ok...

the other thing you want to looking out for is the availability of spare parts. one of my fluvals came with a broken ceramic shaft, and as you know it took me a whole 2 seconds to get a replacement. I see value in that.

build quality is another thing.... weak links, pipes, seals, clamps that keep the filter shut - should all the taken into consideration.

think of how long the warranty lasts for - can you get help after it runs out?

you're better off buying 1 filter that costs twice as more than another that leaks, dies, causes you trouble, and worst case scenario leaks.

if the filter is going to be in a common area of the house like the lounge - you may look at getting the quietest filter for that price range - not compromising on performance though.

what i look at when buying a filter is simple. lets assume any and every filter you buy is going to die out on you. how easy is it going to be for you to get another one at no cost, and with minimal delay. when you narrow your options based on that - choose any one that you want, and you wont go wrong.

HTH! :bounce:

Most people I have heard say AquaOnes are fine. I haven't had one but do have a couple of Jebo 819s, which I gather are similar. I LOVE them! Much prefer Jebo to my Fluval 404 (which blocks easily and is a pain to pull apart to clean) and I hate my Eheim wet/dry and would never buy one again. I have only had the Jebos a couple of years so can't comment on their life expectancy.

Have a Fluval FX5 here too but as yet haven't hooked it up to anything.

I have a cf700 which is a good filter

The one problem I have had with it was when it was on my discus tank at 30*C, the hoses went all soft and kinked really badly, to the point where there was actually no flow, and the tank had an ammonia spike and killed 2 discus.

It kinked just by the taps. I put a soft spring (from a sheep drench pack) around the hose and that fixed it

Just a warning

Agree with Caryl - Jebo 819's are a good buy and do a great job (loved it ever since Karen convinced me to try it) have one of these on the right side of my Discus tank and a Fluval 304 on the left side of my tank..lol..don't ask why I have two external canisters

Agree with Caryl - Jebo 819's are a good buy and do a great job (loved it ever since Karen convinced me to try it) have one of these on the right side of my Discus tank and a Fluval 304 on the left side of my tank..lol..don't ask why I have two external canisters

LOL, I have a sump and 4 (yes, four) canisters on my 150l tank at the moment. Me thinks it's over filtered!

When buying a filter, take into consideration how easy it is to take apart, clean and put back together. Also, how easy it is to prime. Inevitably the poop will hit the fan late at night for early in the morning, and you'll need to do a prime or something.

LOL, I have a sump and 4 (yes, four) canisters on my 150l tank at the moment. Me thinks it's over filtered!

wow what do you have in your 150L???

some good looking 2nd hand canisters as well as new going on TM atm too...just buy new media and you'll be good to go.

I don't think you can over filter a tank (unless the current is so great the fish are fighting to swim forwards!).

I usually have at least 1, but up to 4, small internal canisters in my tank. Always handy to have a ready small filter in case of a fish needing medicating, separating etc in another tank. Instant set-up 8)

wow what do you have in your 150L???

some good looking 2nd hand canisters as well as new going on TM atm too...just buy new media and you'll be good to go.

I had 2 60l tanks that I have just emptied, so took the filters off them and already had a sump, my normal extra canister and an emergency filter on it. I'll shuffle them around next week so my 3fts have 2 filters each

When you clean them make sure you fill them to the absolute max and they will self prime without any probs.

If you do this and they are really noisy with low/no flow, tip it forwards until it goes quiet and has good flow. stand it up slowly to get the air out

When you clean them make sure you fill them to the absolute max and they will self prime without any probs.

I don't do that with mine, connect everything, open up the valves, wait for it to stop filling the cannister and then plug it in. No problems at all.