Lighting Question

jc360

Looking for help. I have an Ar980 tank that is heavily planted, it occasionally has diy Co2, as well as a sera 30 watt bulb and 2x 30 watt power glo bulbs, will this be sufficient lighting to help plants such as Glosso grow beautifully? Or would you recommend something additional? Have struggled to grow Needle pine, Hair grass in this set up.

In a tank that is heavily planted, the problem could be that the taller, faster-growing plants block out some of the light so low-growing plants are effectively growing in the shade. No matter how much light you have on the tank if it doesn't reach the bottom then it won't do any good!

I'm not familiar with an Ar980 tank. What are its dimensions?

then glosso wont grow there. it needs v v. high light.

refer the topic "18000K tubes" in the tech section. that is the spectrum emitted by the power glo's. only difference is that t5's produce more light than the t8's.

same type of light though.

dwarf val. should grow beautifully!

AR 980 is 980mm long... (forgotten other dimensions)

Yeah the tank has three fixed 30watt lights in the hood, which a retailer has told me you can't do much about apart from using the best bulbs available, or going with my current lighting fixtures. Did notice that the light cover is grubby so im gona give it a good clean this avo but don't think that its going to do the trick.

Yeah the tank has three fixed 30watt lights in the hood, which a retailer has told me you can't do much about apart from using the best bulbs available, or going with my current lighting fixtures. Did notice that the light cover is grubby so im gona give it a good clean this avo but don't think that its going to do the trick.

Yeah it sounds like once you've cleaned the glass, got the best & newest tubes and installed reflectors (if it doesn't already have them) you might have maximised your lighting ability. I'm afraid it doesn't sound like an ideal glosso tank.

ive found some of the reflectors in shops can be quite expensive. so in a 980, you can take off the plastic bit that covers the tubes, remove the tubes and then cut a cheap warehouse mirror to size, and silicone it to the back. put your tubes back on, and voila! reflector made.

or you can use tin foil, stick it there, and then use a cloth to smooth it down - but that isn't half as cool as the mirror method. :D

• 2 months later...
ive found some of the reflectors in shops can be quite expensive. so in a 980, you can take off the plastic bit that covers the tubes, remove the tubes and then cut a cheap warehouse mirror to size, and silicone it to the back. put your tubes back on, and voila! reflector made.

or you can use tin foil, stick it there, and then use a cloth to smooth it down - but that isn't half as cool as the mirror method. :D

dont mirrors absorb a lot of light?

000064.png silva

if they absorbed light you would not see a reflection now would you? :o :lol:

:D ok,just a herb grower told me even tho they reflect light they absorb a lot too? maybe it was the herb talking aye :lol:

Can mylar be placed directly on a fluro tube?

000064.png silva

i read somewhere to put 'silver tape' along the top of the fluro tube, was wondering if it could be done using mylar instead. Couldnt find the page but now i have and it says you can:"When you use this style reflector the light never leaves the top the bulb, instead its reflected back through the bulbs and sent out the front. If you doubt this works check with any aquarium shop and ask them." http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1475.htm

(tried to hyperlink,is this right? - http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1475.htm]here )

000064.png silva

i read somewhere to put 'silver tape' along the top of the fluro tube, was wondering if it could be done using mylar instead. Couldnt find the page but now i have and it says you can:"When you use this style reflector the light never leaves the top the bulb, instead its reflected back through the bulbs and sent out the front. If you doubt this works check with any aquarium shop and ask them." http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1475.htm

(tried to hyperlink,is this right? - http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1475.htm]here )

000064.png silva

This is correct, you can buy commercially available lamps with a reflective section inside the tube for just this reason.

ref: Philips master TL-D Reflex. They are typically used in reflectorless light fitting, pricey tho