Petshop rant

lmsmith

I agree with the statement vote with your wallet

Alot of staff also get alot of customers in everyday that try and tell them everything thats wrong

90% the customer is wrong with their statement but not always

In this case with the goldfish I can totally agree with the customer and the fish shouldnt have been sold

Caper

Are U serious?

The few drops of water on the outside of the bag?

That will be dry by the time U get it home.

Do you get the fish out of the bag and pat it dry and make sure there isnt a single drop of water on that fish.

What your asking is utter nonsense and makes no difference at the end of the day

If by chance that few drops of water contained a disease or parasite its on that fish as well

I agree do not place the water from INSIDE the bag into your tank

I dont do it here when taking fish from home to the shop or vice versa

Brad

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry but these 'discussions' are so ridiculous. THERE ARE MUCH BIGGER THINGS IN THIS WORLD TO WORRY ABOUT. Rather than having a spaz that the girl in the petshop didnt say hi. If this is the biggest 'stress-causing' thing in your life I envy you.

If you don't like the discussions, don't participate. These discussions extend to so much more than just fish shops. The discussions are about the service industry in it's entirety; an issue that in New Zealand (with the majority of our sectors involved in services) is a major concern. If you can't see that, or don't care, don't participate.

I went into animates in Welly during the week, and saw a tank full of goldfish that looked like they were swimming strangely. I don't know that much about goldfish, but I do know they shouldn't swim upside down, nor head up, and they should have tails. Upon closer inspection, I saw that 4 or 5 of them had very obvious dropsy; the poor things were hugely swollen and had the pinecone scales.

I went to one of the shop assistants, and asked if she knew she had a tankful of dropsy. She said that they weren't dropsy, they were goldfish. I sighed, and patiently explained that dropsy was a disease, and that fish who have it die. I said they shouldn't be selling the fish because they were sick, and should quarantine the tank. She then said that she would know if they were sick, because she worked in a petshop. I argued a bit longer, then left without buying anything.

I don't understand how people can be like this!!!

getting back to this.. if you are not entirely happy with the outcome of your complaint, then ask to speak to the manager, or whoever is in charge of the store on the day.

I know from experience that sometimes.. (no matter how terrible it sounds).. just sometimes it is not possible to remove dead fish from a tank immediately because it isnt as simple as getting rid of the fish and chucking it.. mortalities have to be accounted for.. reason for death.. checks on the tank.. water tests...etc etc.. it can be a time consuming process sometimes and usually involves more than one person, just incase someone else has already treated the tank with a chemical that cannot be seen in the tank. it should however be done on a daily basis, and ideally twice a day in the very least (day start / end).

but really if you're a customer in ANY store it is your right in my opinion to be entitled to fair and good service... so if you don't get it, lodge a complaint. no one knows these things occur if it isn't brought to their attention.

I know if someone in the palmy store had a similar complaint, i would personally bring up the nature of the complaint with the manager if i heard of it - even if it is my neck on the line.

it is good to remember that everyone is human and everyone makes mistakes.

To err is human, to forgive is divine. - Alexander Pope.

If you don't like the discussions, don't participate. These discussions extend to so much more than just fish shops. The discussions are about the service industry in it's entirety; an issue that in New Zealand (with the majority of our sectors involved in services) is a major concern. If you can't see that, or don't care, don't participate.

No it isnt, its about people feeling entitled. It isnt so hard to ask for help at the counter, it isnt hard to wait you turn, and it isnt hard to walk out of the shop and get on with your life if a shop isnt up to your 'standards'. Walk out and get over it.

I value this site hugely for the information some people can give, I'm pretty sure the freshwater section of this site wasnt designed for people to complain about service at pet shops.

I completly agree, and I think most importantly you can't take it out on the first person you see; I always make an effort to be polite to whoever I speak to, because it may or may not be their fault. If you're polite, you're much more likely to get the results you're looking for.

Regarding LFS water on or in bags getting into our tanks. Remember that most countries don't have the strict quarantine that we have in NZ. LFS water in some countries may have either water treatments like copper or antibiotic's in it or be full of fish diseases, parasites etc. The risk from a small amount of water might be low but you also wouldn't (I hope) use the same net from a hospital tank in your main tanks.

Suphew I agree with you

Though the topic was the about the water on the outside of the bag

If your concerned about that water you shouldnt add the fish

Anything in the water is on and in the fish

Dont put the whole bag into your tank is a great idea and something everyone should try and do

Plus how often do you get home and outside of the bag is still wet from the shop?

Brad

I got told by a former vet who worked with Animates (Lower Hutt) that they get the puppies and kittens in for virtually nothing that's why I was extremely peeved of when I paid $1500 for my pup who had all these defects that they never told me about!

Unforatantly most puppys sold in pet stores are toy breeds (due to size and what not) cant be diagnosed with defects until later on in life...

It just doesnt show up and you cant test for it... Most toy breeds have these defects now...

Freakyfish wrote:

Are U serious?

The few drops of water on the outside of the bag?

That will be dry by the time U get it home.

But remember, I was told that it was not a good idea when I first started to keep fish and read it somewhere as well, but that's a few years ago now. I've never questioned or mentioned it before so I thought it was right all along and I have been in pet shops (not here) but other places and saw them do it. I know the fish are coming out of their water, geesh :oops: :-? :lol: I don't mix the fishy things among tanks in my home either, e.g. nets. I just thought it was another way of reducing the possibility of transfering "bugs" so to speak.

Caper

OK then

The water on the outside of the bag is so unlikely to cause you any further problems then the fish coming out of the water in the bag

Your right with regards to the water in the bag

I wouldnt put it in any of my tanks but I understand there is a small risk when placing the fish in as some water comes with the fish anyways

The main thing now is quarantine and then it doesnt matter what you do as you can make sure everything is going well b4 adding it to your main tank.

Brad

yaromochi wrote:

Im sorry but these 'discussions' are so ridiculous

Maybe the freshwater section wasn't the best place for this thread but I don't think they are ridiculous. After all, I know I learned something!

I mean we all know there are much worse things going on in our world than worrying about the service a person may or may not get at a lfs. But this is a fish forum, and one that is open for all to question, learn, voice opinions, and yep, even rant from time to time. I know that my kids think I'm fish crazy sometimes and would probably think even more so if they read some of my posts :lol: :lol:

Maybe some "non-fishy" people reading any of this forum would think lots of us are ridiculous for even caring about fish.

Just my thoughts, so please don't shoot me :o:P

Caper

I agree with you caper, these discussions are not ridiculous. Many seem to think "It's only a fish, who cares if it dies". They are not fluffy (unless they have fungus) and can't speak for themselves the way a kitten of puppy can.

Sure there are worse things to worry about than poor retail service but that does not mean it is less worthy of discussion.

Good to hear you, at least, have learned something Caper. A day in which you have not learned something new is a day wasted. 8)

Unforatantly most puppys sold in pet stores are toy breeds (due to size and what not) cant be diagnosed with defects until later on in life...

It just doesnt show up and you cant test for it... Most toy breeds have these defects now...

Not when it comes to a pup born with a palate too long for her so she's only getting half the amount everytime she breathes. Got her independently checked and the vet was shocked that no one picked it up earlier. Just waiting to find my contract from my purchase before I consult with Animates and my lawyer

Caryl wrote:

Many seem to think "It's only a fish, who cares if it dies".

That is so true, especially when they are NOT in the hobby. I mean I've even heard people at work say oh no big deal fish sick I just flush it! :evil:

Caper

I got told by a former vet who worked with Animates (Lower Hutt) that they get the puppies and kittens in for virtually nothing that's why I was extremely peeved of when I paid $1500 for my pup who had all these defects that they never told me about!

Not when it comes to a pup born with a palate too long for her so she's only getting half the amount everytime she breathes. Got her independently checked and the vet was shocked that no one picked it up earlier. Just waiting to find my contract from my purchase before I consult with Animates and my lawyer

So she has a shot jaw from what i understand... im sure in the contract that it says some where along the line purcahse with your own judgement... Also you can have the animal vet checked, if it fails you can return it... but in a certain time frame... hours not days!!! I know it is wrong and they should clearly have told you about it if it is obvious...

So she has a shot jaw from what i understand... im sure in the contract that it says some where along the line purcahse with your own judgement... Also you can have the animal vet checked, if it fails you can return it... but in a certain time frame... hours not days!!! I know it is wrong and they should clearly have told you about it if it is obvious...

I only signed a form only acknowledging her umbilical hernia and during the hour long adoption process but nothing else was brought up from the sales assistant, wondered why she quacked like a duck instead of yelping and vet check came back with her palate being too long.

After talking to a fe people I heard of another case when this woman made Animates reinburse her for all the surgeries she paid to correct the defects on her dog they never told her about and that was 3 years after she bought the dog. So there's still hope but definately won't be buying unless from a breeder now.