Car broken into last night :(

whetu

Oh darn! I went out to my car this morning to find the window broken and stuff strewn around inside. Some rotten so-and-so has broken into it!

I called the police and felt a bit embarassed to tell them that the criminals stole $10 cash, my map book and a beach towel. :oops: Not exactly the great train robbery, but till very annoying! The nice policeman took my statement, then asked if I would like Victim Support. :D Well, it was nice to be asked!

Now I'm waiting for the glass repair people to arrive. (Hope it doesn't rain before then.) My insurance policy doesn't cover glass, so this is about $160 that I could have spent on something else. Grrrrrr :evil:

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. It's just one of those stupid, mindless things where they got $10 out of it, it costs me $160 and just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Sorry to hear that whetu. It might be minor in the grand scheme of things but still upsetting and still means you have to pay for the repairs :evil:

Thanks Caryl. Yep, just a nasty shock and a bit of unneccesary expense at a time when I'm struggling financially anyway. :(

which windows were broken?? Friends car had his window broken a total of 3 times in less than a year (good ole Palmy). He always replaced them by going to wreckers yards and getting one from them

And I know the feeling, it sucks and you feel violated :x

It was the rear left quarter window (the little triangle one at the back - I didn't know what it was called until the glass man told me this morning!)

I decided to get the professionals to repair it, because by the time I had done it myself it would have cost me more in time than it was worth. And more than likely it would end up leaking or something and causing more headaches! :o

I know how you feel Whetu

I have had that done to my car and last year my wifes car was broken into at the Airport :evil:

Don't you wish you could catch the thieves in the act and give them a good throttling.

(I was going to swear, but the rules don't allow it :roll: )

I knew a girl who had burglars come in through her bedroom window while she was sleeping, taking ipod, phone and such.

It took a while for her to realise she had been burgled as (being in a student flat) she had a lockable door that was locked at night from the inside (and from the outside when she was out). Sounds weird, but with some big flats of young people it is easier to lock your room than trust that your flatties will always remember to lock the door, though I am sure the fire dept would disagree).

So she was locked in a small room, asleep with a burgular beside her.... :o

Whetu, sorry about your break-in, that sucks :( I is great having this community to randomly vent to when required!

Yeah, I know people who've had burglers go through their house while they were asleep - a very frightening thought!

Yeah that happend to my boss just the other day. Left the door unlocked for daughter to come home after shift work, but woke to find everything taken. He still wondering how they did it without waking three people asleep.

I need to be more careful. I often have the front and back doors open to cool the place down. COuld be very easy for someone to sneak in, as I am usually attached to the laptop in the other room.

Would be harder in my small unit, but seeing all these posts is a good reminder.

I know how you feel Whetu

I have had that done to my car and last year my wifes car was broken into at the Airport :evil:

Don't you wish you could catch the thieves in the act and give them a good throttling.

(I was going to swear, but the rules don't allow it :roll: )

Great control Wok , Were proud of you ! :bow::bow::bow:

i too recently had my car broken into - monday before waitangi weekend....my language and the description of what i was gonna do to the sod if I ever found him was not very lady like lol.... the police came round to get finger prints which the stupid ppl left but i am a very neglectful car owner and they reckon it was too dirty to get prints off....oh well

they stole my car stereo and the whole center console that has the fan grills, the buttons for my back window heater and the hazard lights, the ashtray holder. (go figure) oh and the little first aid kit that was in the glove box.

i have replaced most of it by going to the wreckers...wat i suddenly remembered about tho that nite was in the car were two cd cases full of all my cds but cos i have a habit of chucking everything under the passenger seat they didnt take them phew...also my bag with my wallet, cellphone etc was also in the car - not touched.

my week didnt get much better after that as i took the Thursday off for an extra long weekend (dont work Wednesdays) and on that thursday as i headed home from the supermarket i got side swipped totally stuffing the car....they broke the back axle, smashed in the drivers side so that i actually had to get out the passenger side. brilliant!!!! I was driving dads car cos mine had no indicators due to the break-in and in his car i have to pull the seat forward cos its longer in the front than mine and i think thats wat saved me from being seriously hurt....hit my head, got a little bit of whip lash and ribs on right side hurt from hitting the door panel....oh and bruising above the left breast where the seat belt would have tightened....

apparently the car spun twice before stopping wiht me facing the wrong way up moorehouse ave towards the overbridge (i was heading away from it....)

Well whaddaya know...

I went out this morning to find another window broken on my car! This time they just broke the window and didn't even try to get in (it wouldn't have done them any good - there was nothing left to steal). They also broke the window on my neighbour's car next door.

There's another $160 down the drain. :roll:

Now I'm getting really annoyed. :evil:

Mistymu, hope you're all better now! Sorry about your troubles, and you as well Whetu!

You know, in one sense, it doesn't make any difference if it's $10 or a $1000, it was YOURS NOT THEIRS!!! :evil: :evil:

Caper

Yes you're right, Caper. I mean, I would have been even more annoyed if they had stolen $1000 (I wish my car was worth that much! :o ) but this pointless destruction is really unpleasant.

I simply don't have anywhere else to park my car, so it has to stay out on the road. :(

When I reported the incident to the police (second time in 10 days) the policewoman said "I think it might be time for you to move!" :evil: :evil: I'm not going to be chased out of the neighbourhood by some brainless vandals! :evil: :evil:

A few years ago my car was broken into - i'd just had a new sterio installed with the works and that was stolen.

After that happen though I just hated being in my car I just felt very violated knowing someone had been in there I sold the car not long after.

the police came round to get finger prints which the stupid ppl left but i am a very neglectful car owner and they reckon it was too dirty to get prints off

^ your lucky, I went to the police had to for insurance purposes and asked them if they were gonna come and take finger prints and they said "it was a waste of time"

Nice I thought - the person who burgled my car proberly is the person that does a bunch of crime and because "it's a waste of time getting there finger prints" they get to get away with it. But we the inocent ones are left with repair bills and higher insurance premiums to pay

• 2 weeks later...
A few years ago my car was broken into - i'd just had a new sterio installed with the works and that was stolen.

After that happen though I just hated being in my car I just felt very violated knowing someone had been in there I sold the car not long after.

^ your lucky, I went to the police had to for insurance purposes and asked them if they were gonna come and take finger prints and they said "it was a waste of time"

Nice I thought - the person who burgled my car proberly is the person that does a bunch of crime and because "it's a waste of time getting there finger prints" they get to get away with it. But we the inocent ones are left with repair bills and higher insurance premiums to pay

Agreed! there is definitely bad energy left when a criminal has been inside your personal space. insurance often doesn't cover stereos too as it's "part of the car"... huh?! so it's often lose-lose for the victim (ie paying insurance and then not getting it and losing what the thieves take). pity you didn't catch them in the act the second time. i often wonder how people don't hear the window smash? i guess they put a blanket over it and then smash it???

Man that sucks so much. That reminds me though, a few weeks ago I was going to a flat viewing, and as I drove up the road, I saw 11 cars with smashed windows that were parked on the street. Needless to say, I declined the flat.

Luckily, I've never been broken into, but I can sympathize; it sucks that the damages aren't covered. I know that if my car was broken into, I simply wouldn't have the money to repair the window more than once.

Even if insurance does pay out you're still usually stuck with the excess.:( I've had my car broken into twice. Once they stole my digital camera, the second they didn't steal anything.

IIRC I didn't have to pay anything for the window, had to pay $250 excess on the camera, but they paid me enough for it that I bought the same kind of camera+another cheaper one off trade me with the leftover.:)