What happened to the Whites tree frogs ?

snookie

we all know that this si done regularly by those names we do not speak of... ok we do but its cooler to say we dont speak of it so its more mysterious. but its not really..................anyways

it is sad, they have been here for awhile i hear.

and not a threat to our birds! they dont have a liking to eggs benedict do they?

8)

noreason is needed

DOC is trying to stop captive breeding and rearing of native lizards... beacuse they dont like it being bred in private.

wonder why, if its endagered, and we can breed moreo f it... isnt that better?

i would like to hear of a DOC representative actually say why

in fact someone here or the president should arrange a seminar, and invote DOC and MAF people to come and talk to us with REAL reasons why things are happening and said and their stance on certain things

DOC is trying to stop captive breeding and rearing of native lizards... beacuse they dont like it being bred in private.

Mod = Warren: Coarse language removed.

There were some Whites tree frogs that came into the country illegally last year. Maybe they are from that shippment and not from wild populations that died out many years ago.

so if an illegal importation happened last year was anyone prosecuted over it and frogs seized?

or is that based on heresay

and surely dna testing would have proven that the current lot were the same gene pool

mind you though the original legal releases could have been from the same genetic lines too

probably no dna records for the originals though

matt man

i do research because i had to jump through flaming hoops to get my native lizard license!! when exotic lizards are harder to rear than the nz native ones to begin with.

i ask the guy he said, well, he believes that its good to keep them in captivity cos it guarantees they never go extinct

but he said that the general attitude of DOC is that they dont like people keeping and breeding native lizards!!

that is what was said, and tha tis what im saying

if a doc person comes in and then they can correct me. If you are a doc person, then you can correct me in writing and explain to ALL OF US, why its so hard to keep nz natives?

i guarantee that alot of the breeders of reptiles here can breed the Edit Billaney - Come on guys all you do is make it hard for the mods Not to ban you out of tuataras etc perhaps. but you know govt red tape that stops it.

maf/biosecurity trying to prosecute me for 'illegal inportation'. All were confiscated and although zoos have applied to keep them as containment facility animals they will not be approved. Although I have affadavits from people that have had then within the last 20 years it does not look good. MAF claims they are no longer present in the wild, so they must have come in illegally. They wre sold by Select A Pet and Johnnie Walkers in the 1980's so it would be reasonable to assume these are stock derived from these. In the case of birds if the adults are of dubious origin then they can be confiscated, but any young are classed as bred here and not illegal...why this does not apply to reptiles/frogs is beyond me and no explanation has been given.

Since National has come to power and requested that all expenditure be accounted for, many of these guys are aware their jobs are on the line and want to make a name for themselves. There is no difference between beardeds, leopards, blueys etc and these frogs...a total waste of tax payer dollars. Basically I should I have kept them under the radar so to speak, but I am sick of this hobby have 'illegal' conotations simply because the authorities do not have the knowledge or sense to create a licensing system to establish what is here and what is not. Asking other people that have them to come forward is a waste of time as they may be subject to the same persecution and harrassment. Basically these guys make the rules as they go and when they are questioned they shirk all responsibility to those higher up the ladder.

Ridgetails, Day Geckos, Iguanas, Lace Monitors, Mulga Monitors, Water Monitors, Frillies, Jackson's Chameleons are ALL in private hands. Ex Zoo animals or illegally imported or imported when regulations were not in place? Who knows...it seems that as long as you keep under the radar and treat the hobby like an illegal activity you will be fine...but try to legitimise things and you get a bunch of wanabe cops come down on you.

The moral of the story is beware and do not keep records of who you get your animals from....ever.

All kinds of exotic birds can be bought/sold/traded. Bio 101...Birds are warm blooded and can naturalise and compete with natuve fauna. Reptiles are cold blooded and can not regulate their own body temp...NONE of the species above can naturalise and peer reviewed data supporting this is available to anyone that can spell 'google'.

As long as there are no proper rules this stupity will continue.

And for the record I have handed any animal that I have come accross that is either cites 1 or stolen...emerald monitors and day geckos, so I do have morals. MAF could not even keep that under their hats as they promised. A story on the emeralds ran in the herald the day after handed them in with credit given to MAF's investigators. Says it all really.

its pathetic how the law is applied selectively.

Honestly.. if you can afford frogs like that - would you really chuck them in the wild?

bit like introducing red aros in the local rivers really - No one is stupid enough to do it... and those that can afford them are smart enough not to introduce to our native eel friends.

There is no way they would survive in the wild - but NO! its ok to have cockatoos flying around the place cause they aren't deemed a large enough threat.

But a thousand odd dollar frog that would never make it in winter cause its cold blooded is far too much of a threat. I mean what does genetics show right? :evil:

Tragic.. and im sorry for your loss. those frogs were awesome.

H, have you written to Rodney Hide, the Minister for Regulatory Reform? My former boss who runs a plant nursery wrote him a big email detailing the stupid rules and regulations surrounding the importing of plants and seeds (its as bad as reptiles and fish, hundreds of species imported pre-mid-90's are now being bred here, legally, but aren't on the list and are supposedly not here. Seeds can easily be imported, but the list is so incomplete and foolishly designed. People have had collections raided, plants confiscated etc too). Write him a letter explaining the situation with herps in general, and what has happened to you and see if he can help. If the bureaucrats are trying to do something to make themselves look good, you might as well go to the person who's going to give them the chop and arm them with the necessary information to get rid of them and get some realistic sensible laws in place.

I just think it really stinks what they have done to you Varonophile :( Is there nothing at all anyone can do for you? I have no idea how MAF etc works but have heard of a few situations where they have not made the best call on things... Really sorry to hear about the situation :x

• 1 month later...