new tank - stocking ideas?

enzoom1

Well I finally got my new 4ft tank today :D:D:D

It measures 1220Lx610Hx500D.

I'm going to be working for a South American large cichlid style tank.

As far as the decorations of the tank go, I'm going for small gravel/sand substrate with large rocks and wood. (If anyone could point me to a good place to get rocks and sand from in auckland it will be much appreciated)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could suggest what I could put in there. So far all I've thought of is 1 Severum and 5-6 Silver dollars.

What else do you propose I get?

Cheers

(edit: wrote wrong size)

I got aragonite from hollywood fishfarm (no doubts close-ish to you) .. actually I think I kept the suppliers details (they shipped it directly to me at about $50 cheaper than hollywood could do) .. looks great in my african tank - I went for white but they have a couple other options

can't help on the rocks sorry, if you were in welly I could tell ou where there are tonnes and tonnes of them :bounce:

image to wide to post :x >> http://images.paranoid.co.nz/rimutank/rimutank049.jpg

If I new how cool it is having discus I would have got a bigger tank...rock are boring, easy to keep alive though.

Why does everyone think discus need planted tanks? :roll:

Are you going south american, or central, or a mix? aggressive, semi-aggressive or mellow? One large centrepiece or a mix of smaller species?

Well I now finally have the tank setup, minus any fish :D . I'm going to go and get a couple of mollies to cycle the tank with tomorrow (any other recommendations for type of cycling fish?)

I'll put some pics up tonight of it all setup.

So should I cross BGK off my list of fish to have.... or should I have it while it's young and sell when it gets too big?

Thanks neon.

Does anyone have an idea about how long it ill take to cycle, I've been adding seachem Stability to the tank for the last 2 days as recommended on the label.

Also I was wondering at what time do you think it will be safe start adding a couple more fish?