German Shepherd but full time job

Lesta3474

I think this is a question that probably plagues alot of dog lovers out there. How does one manage to have dog and yet work full time.

I really really like dogs.. esp German Shepherd and have always wanted one. But the idea of leaving him at home while I'm at work just does not cut it. It is as if I have to win lotto and quit my job before I can have one.

Anyone out there in the same situation? These dogs are just so damn gorgeous and I don't think they deserve to be kept alone at home for the whole day. Its too bad I can't bring them to work. I work in an IT company and I don think dogs are allowed in the office area. :(

just because you can't see the small type on the screen can only lead to another benefit for you,

You will have to request a High resolution digital light Projector so that you can throw a 60+ inch screen on the wall so that you can then see what you are typeing :lol:

Don't you agree? :roll:

just need to think outside of the box

I like your thinking Lesta - some people treat dogs as backyard accessories. I don't have a dog for the same reason - just not enough time in my day to give it the attention it needs.

Whereas cats....well, they just do as they please and suit themselves so that's another story :wink:

I also find that the more time people spend with their dogs after hours means the dogs miss them when away... these will often bark from the time you leave untill the time you get home creating a problem for niebours that are home through the day

If anyone does have a dog at home alone

they can always send them to doggy day care at the local kennal

drop them off on your way to work they play and get fed then pick them up on your way home,

this also stops holes in your yard,noise complants and you dont need to walk your dog striaght away when you get home

oh and your dog gets socilised and in time lots of dogs ignore dogs on the street coz it sees heaps of dogs everyday

so you have a nice calm companion(well as long as you put some respectful training in)

I don't see any problem with leaving dogs at home while you are at work.

The two i have are alone while i am at work, One is a BMD and the other a lab cross that i train for SAR.

GSD are great dogs but do need a heavy hand and prefer to be doing something.

My dog has no problems being home alone while I'm at work. Dogs need to rest heaps, and if given the proper training and attention when you are there, they are fine when alone. :) Also a guy down here who changed the way they train the police dogs in UK and is now trainingdogs here, says dogs with too much 'space' are more anxious and likely to bark, dig holes etc. A dog with a large back-yard feels they are responsible for the entire area, and every bird that lands on the fence etc etc gets barked at. It would be like a human feeling responsible for the whole city and all the anxiety that would create... :o Having her confined to a smaller area means she's relaxed and calm when I'm not here and is usually asleep somewhere when I get home. I've had dogs for years and having 2 dogs the same age was more trouble then one on their own. I've certainly changed the way I do things from the first dog I had, and Milo is much better with me doing a few things differently then some of the other dogs I've had. :D Just my experience tho :D

We have alway left Our oldest dog (9yrs) outside by himself when people were at school/working, But there was usually someone home every couple hours (weird self employed jobs with weird hours)

But when my parents bought a bar, Bruno started getting BIG and bored, Solution-Get another dog.

Hes still big, but fitter. He has someone to sit in the sun with when noones home, Probably happier than ever :lol:

So if you want a dog, and have long work hours that will lreave the dog alone for hours on end. Get 32.

I think people feel a lot worse about leaving dogs alone than the dogs feel. Sometimes we like to spend time alone, and dogs do too. Dogs can sleep up to 16hrs a day. I agree that dogs in a smaller space have less problems. As long as they have something to look at, and some water and some toys, they'll be fine. Lots of people think that dogs that are left alone are much more receptive to learning as well.

The exceptions of course are dogs that haven't been trained to be alone, so they tend to destroy things and bark like crazy

I have Harry a spolit 10 yr border collie. I work full time and he is home alone for 8 hours a day. Actually I come home at lunchtime to see him and have a cleaning lady once a week mainly to keep him company. He is fine as long as his routines are kept. Walking, food and playtime then cuddle on the couch. :D

Yeah, start off with a puppy rather than a grown dog that's been trained to have company 24/7. Also google seperation anxiety and be good to start following those instructions from the beginning.

My malamute is happy to be left home alone for 12+ hours because she knows when we leave she gets a carrot.:)

Think about if you would allow your dog inside.

Over winter you are going to work in the dark, and coming home in the dark. It is nice now in summer, the idea of coming home with long light hours to play with your dog, but over winter when it is dark and wet it is a lot less enticing...

Good suggestion about googling separation axniety etc

The other thing to think about, if your dog suddenly got sick and required a lot of vet attention, do you have the money saved to cope with that?

I like the idea of getting a cat again someday, but I know right now I can not spare the money that is required at various times. Before when I was working and had the money I felt a bit bad about hardly being home (cats DO like attention, and if you aren't able to give it, why get a cat in the first place?) and not having a flat suitable for a cat door.

Our dog - now 8 yrs old - has always been at home while we have been at work, school etc but because we live where my husband works there are occasional daytime visits and now my sons at uni, he's around too - even though he doesn't pay her much attention. But, she loves the school holidays as we're all around all day and finds it hard when we return and she's shut in her yard from 8 -4.

You have a few options available...

1) get a GS leave it at home during the day... then take him out at night for a series amount of exercise...

2) get two, they will keep themselves sorted... then take them both out at night for a series amount of exercise...

I have 4 dogs and dont have a issue...

do you know allot about GS?

You have a few options available...

1) get a GS leave it at home during the day... then take him out at night for a series amount of exercise...

2) get two, they will keep themselves sorted... then take them both out at night for a series amount of exercise...

I have 4 dogs and dont have a issue...

do you know allot about GS?

How can you exercise a single dog in series? And wouldn't two dogs then be exercising them in parallel? Unless you have the two dogs tied to each other then I guess that would be in series.

And wouldn't two dogs then be exercising them in parallel? Unless you have the two dogs tied to each other then I guess that would be in series.

That would depend on how you tether them together, to be in series you would have to have the lead to the first dog held by the person walking them, the first dog is tethered to the second dog with a separate lead, and then another lead from the second dog back to the person walking them.

Parallel would require two leads, one to each side of the first dog, which in turn is tethered by a further two leads to each side of the the second dog - probably best not to get them twisted, or they will short out.