Turning filter off at night

Jaide

When everything is new, you have to cycle the hard way - ie, run the tank fishless for at least a month. You can add some friendly bacteria to help it along - Stresszyme for example. It _may_ be ready for fish sooner – use your nitrate & ammonia test kits to monitor what is going on. Some people do add a fish or two about two weeks in to provide some waste materials for the bacteria to work on (a guppy or danio etc.), but I've always gone the fishless way as I find it gives plants time to start growing properly. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When everything is new, you have to cycle the hard way - ie, run the tank fishless for at least a month. You can add some friendly bacteria to help it along - Stresszyme for example. It _may_ be ready for fish sooner – use your nitrate & ammonia test kits to monitor what is going on. Some people do add a fish or two about two weeks in to provide some waste materials for the bacteria to work on (a guppy or danio etc.), but I've always gone the fishless way as I find it gives plants time to start growing properly. :)

running the tank with no fish for a month will not achieve a "cycled" tank. there needs to be some source of waste product in order for the bacteria to feed on and multiply. either by adding fish slowly, or adding ammonia.

i prefer to use fish, as putting in random amounts of ammonia seems a bit hit and miss.

seeing you are only putting two fish in, i would put them in straight away.

running the tank with no fish for a month will not achieve a "cycled" tank. there needs to be some source of waste product in order for the bacteria to feed on and multiply. either by adding fish slowly, or adding ammonia.

I have found that there is enough waste material from the plants & results from water tests I've taken during the fishless month have showed the tanks going through their cycles happily. Once the month is up, I then build up my fish stock levels very slowly.

Jaide, dimebag is probably right about just putting your 2 fish in straight away (since it's only 2 :) ) – just keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrates.

The word cycling relates to the nitrogen cycle ammonia - nitrite - nitrate. The nitrate is picked up by the plants and the cycle is completed when the plant decomposes. Which plants produce ammonia? How can you cycle a tank without ammonia? The reason you think the tank is cycled with plants is because there is no ammonia produced by plants so there is none to measure.

i would use an internal filter as you may want to increase the stocking levels at a later date and then you wouldnt have to go thru the hassle of cycling again at a later date. a small internal filter will be all that is needed and will be virtually silent (as long as you dont use ane venturi features) with reguards to aeration of a tank stella is rite but however its a common misconception that an air pump is needed , this stems from the earlier days in the hobby where people were encouraged to use them and an undergravel or corner box filter was the best thing out. (still have there uses tho ) gradually more was learnt and somebody figured out that pumping air into ur aquarium does not oxygenate the water however the current created by the moving flow of bubbles exposes more water to the air at the surface allowing more oxygen to dissolve.any form of water movement will also do this.i do not own an air pump ane more . there are just better ways of filtering out there for most tanks and having plants i wanted the least surface disturbance as possible(to keep the CO2 in the water, as dissolved oxygen forces it out ) this can however become a small trade off if i get more fish i may find i need more oxygen and will have to turn the spraybar a few degrees towards the surface to cause more agitation.

i would use an internal filter as you may want to increase the stocking levels at a later date and then you wouldnt have to go thru the hassle of cycling again at a later date. a small internal filter will be all that is needed and will be virtually silent (as long as you dont use ane venturi features)

Why would I want to cycle again later? Once it's cycled, it's good to go. I only want a couple of fish in there, I don't want to fill it up - it's only a small tank.

Which internal filter do you recommend that's absolutely silent?

Are you sure Alan? Don't they require some sort of air flow? Otherwise it will just be a heater and plants and that's it.

I'm picking up some fish tomorrow night and I'm really worried they'll fall over as soon as their in :(

Have a look at this link, it's a way to set up a planted, unfiltered tank. It wont support as many fish as a conventional tank but you balance the growing plants with the fish numbers.

Walstad Method

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method

So yes it can be done, it's a bit trickier to set up, but no filtering needed.

Likewise if a tank is big and only contains a few small fish then it is possible to run with no filters.

But personally I would just put in a little internal power filter. I have a very nice Eheim (expensive but good) and a range of small cheapo AquaOnes. All are practically silent, maybe just a bit of a hum.

Ian

Thanks for the help and information everyone :)

I bought 4 baby platties last night and they're in the tank with no filtration and no air flow and have survived their first night :bounce:

It's strange seeing them in there with nothing moving around except them but if it works, I'm all for it :bow:

I hope this helps

I have a 3 ft tank that I have had set up for about 10 years now.

It has a layer of laterite, fine sand and then gravel as a base.

It has a heater and a light (used to have CO2 but I put that in something else) and plants

Base gravel is about 5-10 cm thick (maybe)

I water change it when I remember(maybe a few times a year), feed it a couple of times a week.

I NEVER vacum the Gravel

It is HEAVILY planted with all sorts of Crypts and has guppies in it by the hundreds.

It has no filter. It also has no algae that I can see and I hardly ever clean the glass.

It is my homage to the old skool

It is about balance

Navarre

The word cycling relates to the nitrogen cycle ammonia - nitrite - nitrate. The nitrate is picked up by the plants and the cycle is completed when the plant decomposes. Which plants produce ammonia? How can you cycle a tank without ammonia? The reason you think the tank is cycled with plants is because there is no ammonia produced by plants so there is none to measure.

Thanks for the info, alanmin - that does make sense. I guess I have success because because I do always stock my tanks up very slowly (so I must actually be cycling them once the first couple of fish go in)! I must have read some flawed articles many years ago when I was getting into fish for the first time – I distinctly remember learning about cycling without using fish. I'll probably continue to set up tanks the way I always have as I find that the plants establish themselves better when there are no fish in there for a few weeks first, in any case. :)

Jaide, good luck with your fish tank – keep us posted!

I'm off to read more about this cycling business, lol.

There are SO many flawed articles about fish out there! :evil: :roll: :evil: :evil: :roll:

Very annoying. And it takes a LOT of reading to try and sort of what has some actualy truth/science behind it and what is yet another myth.

I have certainly been lead astray by, and sadly passed on, much inaccurate information in my time.

The GOOD thing with the internet is you are not stuck with one source of info, you have BILLIONS. Read read read read on the one topic until you are sure.

In my first week at uni a very wise lecturer told us not to believe a word he said until we had gone out and researched and made sure for ourselves that he was right or not, and understood why. Very very important lesson.

Back to cycling, fishless cycling can be done, either hit-and-miss by putting something in to decompose to feed the bacteria, or using controlled amounts of the purest ammonia you can find. I often think fishless cycling articles are not written as thoroughly as is needed to follow them properly.

I have a problem with fishless cycling which is not addressed by God's Mother in Law Mrs Google. No one has ever been able to show me the formula that shows how many dead prawns or drops of ammonia is equal to two small fish.

Hang in there-- you are doing all the right things for the wrong reasons.

That's irrelevant. You feed the tank with ammonia until, basically, it can support a huge bioload. Then difference between the real bioload and the capacity dies off harmlessly.

But, if you're wanting an idea, one medium severum in 20 liters produces about 2ppm of ammonia(When I put one in a container to treat him overnight) that would be about 0.00004 liters or .04ml I've seen references to a droplet of water being approximately .05ml. So call one medium severum equal to a drop of ammonia per day. Or a small tetra approximately 1/10th.

Hi Ira

drops pr ml or gtts (LOL) depends of the fluid(surface tension I guess) and the nozzle size they are being dropped from.

Not all things are created the same

Balance slowly acheaved (even if spelt wrong like) is better than balance in a hurry in the long term because we are talking about not having a "opening" in the system to take up the slack (so to speak).

The only water movement will be generated by thermoconduction and fishes swimming. Water movement is what aids gaseous exchange at the surface, thats one reason you take water out of the system in a filter and put it back again and why airstones dont contribute that much to oxygenation in the water thermoclines until near the top where the agitation of the surface has been increased.

So my advice set your tank up. Plant it, landscape it, heat it, let it settle, add 1 or 2 fish for your enjoyment. forget about the marketing gimicks. enjoy it