December 23, 200817 yr comment_281633 I'm saving right now to get a BD. I don't have a job, so I imagine that it will take me a while to get the money together, but I figure I need about $500-$600 for the dragon, and $500 for the enclosure. I've been looking round on the forums and have searched lots of other reptile forums, and most places seem to think you can make setups for about $300. I'm not sure if that includes lights, and I have no idea how much they cost. I was thinking of building a setup on top of a coffee table. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Lounge-dining-hall/Tables/Coffee-tables/auction-194203995.htm So, I'd get something like this which would act as the base, then build sides up from that and a mesh roof. Then get tracks and sliders from wherever you get them from, tile the floor and fit lights etc. Think it'd work? That table looks to be a pretty good height, sure, it would be quite low to the ground, but I'm short! I think the timber would cost about $50, mesh maybe $20. Tiles another $20. No idea about how much the lighting would cost, but if I've set aside $500 for the setup, I've still got $400 to spend on lighting. It'd be great if people who have made their own enclosures (that don't already have pics on the forum) could post some pics or possible problems/ideas. Thanks guys! Report
December 23, 200817 yr comment_281639 i use MDF cover sheets for the timber $5 each from timber supplies Report
December 23, 200817 yr Author comment_281641 I was a bit worried about using MDF because it can go yuck getting wet and I'll want to wipe it down. Although, I just thought that I could paint it (duh!), so I think timber costs could be bought right down to about $20 or even less because the BF works at bunnings. Report
December 23, 200817 yr comment_281643 i polyurethaned mine about 3 coats inside and out or paint outside black Report
December 23, 200817 yr comment_281648 i built a solid not quite square tank :oops: one side is about half an inch out anyway i built the frame and screwed mdf on and painted with mdf paint then house hold wash and were(a few coats) its so strong i can stand on it etc(saver than standing on a dining chair) the reason why it was out an inch is coz we ran out of would and needed it made asap whispers old cage smashed(i had the heat bulb to close to glass(wont do that again) Report
December 23, 200817 yr comment_281674 i just use mdf and get the sliding tracks from mitre 10 they cost $20 for 1600mm i use 19mm mdf so i dont need to make a frame it can be screwed together with no probs then i go see a m8 who works at a glass shop and get him to make my doors and all up just the enclosure cost $610 (that is what we charge) and that is with the rock work and a few other bits and pieces lights if you are a regular at your lps you can get discount on them the enclosure size is 1500mmx700mmx600mm Report
December 23, 200817 yr Author comment_281675 Thanks guys. So Rockwork, you got the runners for the glass doors from a hardware store - can you buy the glass and tracks together anywhere, or do you have to get them made? Report
December 23, 200817 yr comment_281678 you can buy it from the glass shop but it cost you 2times as much so i do it that way Report
December 23, 200817 yr comment_281681 you can look around for an old china cabinet and use glass from that sometimes cheaper than buying it Report
December 23, 200817 yr comment_281707 Where abouts do you live mate, My parents own a branch or "Mr Rental". They take the glass out of the TV cabinets they rent. Thats where i got the glass for my cage. I could easily get you 3 or 4 pieces. It has beveled edges so thats perfect for fitting into runners. Dimensions are around 600mm by 300mm by 5mm. Just an idea, save you some cash Report
December 24, 200817 yr Author comment_281732 Where abouts do you live mate, My parents own a branch or "Mr Rental". They take the glass out of the TV cabinets they rent. Thats where i got the glass for my cage. I could easily get you 3 or 4 pieces. It has beveled edges so thats perfect for fitting into runners. Dimensions are around 600mm by 300mm by 5mm. Just an idea, save you some cash Wow, that'd be so awesome! I'm in welly. Report
December 24, 200817 yr comment_281762 Greg at Tanks2U build me a 4x2x2' glass enclosure with sliding doors for $200. Should be able to set up the lighting for under $100 with a little DIY. Depending on what kind of hook ups you have, how handy you are and what kind of tools you have (or have access) too you could possibly do one cheaper yourself. Maybe look for a cracked aquarium you could convert? Report
December 24, 200817 yr comment_281763 I have looked at heaps of different set ups and the one David R talks about that Greg makes has been the best value for money I have come across. Report
December 24, 200817 yr Author comment_281770 Greg at Tanks2U build me a 4x2x2' glass enclosure with sliding doors for $200. Should be able to set up the lighting for under $100 with a little DIY. Depending on what kind of hook ups you have, how handy you are and what kind of tools you have (or have access) too you could possibly do one cheaper yourself. Maybe look for a cracked aquarium you could convert? Thanks for the tip, maybe you could upload some pics of the tank (unless there's already some on here you could point me to?) 4ft would be ideal, I think 3 ft is a bit small. Report
December 24, 200817 yr comment_281777 can get fluro fittings from hardware store (double 2 foot about $30-40) nt as good as fancy pet shop jobs as doesnt have reflector - you could make one i geuss. Heat lamp ($5-20) any light fitting from hardware store but will need wiring up, get one rated to atleast 100 watt so you can adjust bulbs to get the correct basking temp, (i use 40-100 watt bulbs) dark rock seems to attract/hold higher temps = saving power. Can use most timbers although ive read mixd opinions i thnk the main thing is to seal it with polyurethane/paint glass tanks ok but breaks easy and im good a breaking things lol heres the first tank i slapt together - was an old cabinet but i pretty much rebuilt the whole thing added a couple of shelves, vents, lights and sliding doors old recyled perspex. abit rangi all around but it serves its purpose. :lol: its about 1400 long 400 deep Report
December 24, 200817 yr comment_281779 this is where i got the idea http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/ glass is good and at $200 for a 4 foot that is possibly the cheapest way to go - especially if you value your time. Report
December 24, 200817 yr comment_281832 Can't post pics at the moment, we're up north on holiday for a few weeks. Lizard is with us, currently in a 3'tank but building an outdoor pen tomorrow when bunnings is open. Report
December 25, 200817 yr comment_281834 put this pic up before full sheet front and back plus .250 strip on bottom mdf cover sheets $20 glass for front $150 ends fly screen inserts Report
December 26, 200817 yr comment_281886 The Bird Barn in Henderson had/has baby Beardies for $300... for a couple of weeks they even dropped them to $250 Report
December 26, 200817 yr Author comment_281921 Thats a bit far away for me, but I probably wont be getting it for a few months anyway so I might be able to make the trip wherever I need to to get one. Although, there are a few people on here I think I'd like to talk to about them because they look like theirs are much more colorful and healthy looking than the ones I've seen in the shops. Report
December 27, 200817 yr Author comment_281931 where do you reckon the shops get them from? Yeah but if I get them directly from a breeder, I get their help too. They can probably show me the parents and give specific help if I need it. Report
December 27, 200817 yr comment_282024 Wow, that'd be so awesome! I'm in welly. Wellington you say, Im in Auckland but PM me, we can sort something out Report
December 28, 200817 yr Author comment_282085 Can't post pics at the moment, we're up north on holiday for a few weeks. Lizard is with us, currently in a 3'tank but building an outdoor pen tomorrow when bunnings is open. Where does the dragon live while you're away? What does he travel in? FMcLaren, I'll PM you closer to when I'm going to be building my tank, it might not be for about 14 - 16 months because I'm thinking of moving to Australia for a while. Report
December 28, 200817 yr comment_282116 He's in a 3'tank that I've left at my parents place in Whangarei for when we're up visiting. I've also made him a simple 3x2M pen on the back lawn using weedmat as a fence. he can climb it but usually doesn't make it to the top. We just put him in a cardboard box in the car and don't feed him the morning we're travelling. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.