Water vs Bearded Dragons

lmsmith

If you have to ask. (a) don't expect a reply! (b) don't expect to be sold any! ......try google :-?

Well, I guess you're new here, but this forum is about learning things. I know quite a bit about beardies, but have recently seen lots of people talking about about WDs. I have googled it, but there's so much contrasting information out there about them, so I'm asking people I trust have first hand experience. But thanks, I won't be buying any from someone like you.

Thanks Chilli - that's the sort of info I'm after!

I myself was about to ask the same question about the difference, i saw 2 tanks of babies at a petshop in chch, a tank with beardies and a tank with water dragons, neither tanks had much water at all in them so to me they both looked exactly the same, just different sizes.

Apart from the obvious (water dragons living in wet environments) what is the difference between the two? Habitat, feeding, anything else I need to know?

Depends on whether you want an interactive pet...go with beardie (vitti)...or something that you can appreciate without handling..water dragon.

Water dragons are brilliant in terms of an outdoor set-up that you can just watch. Be aware that outdoor housing for these is a must if they are to breed, and also if you want to see their 'true' behaviour.

Water dragons should be raised indoors until they are around 45cm total length, at which point they can be housed outdoors. Adult animals will easily winter in NZ conditions without any supplemental heat. You can also heavily plant out their enclosure as they will not ravage your plants...beardies will. Water dragons tend to be skittish from a young age, but once they are around 20cm total length they will start going for your fingers at feeding time..this seems to be when they start to gain confidence. They will also happily feed on butch white label dog food.

All this means that a group of w.d's is in the long run easier to keep than a group of beardies and cheaper too.

Beardies (vitti) on the other hand are tame from when they are very young. Ideally they should also have an outdoor setup for the summer months.

Coastal Beardies (barba) can be kept outdoors all year round from adult and are between w.d's and beardies (vitti) in terms of tameness and can be handled relatively easily. They will also quite happily share an enclosure with the water dragons as they are tolernat to humidity, whereas the inland beardie (vitti) is not.

I will have all 3 types available come mid feb. PM me.

Many people seem to think that Mrs Google is God's Mother in Law and if it comes up on a google search it must be true. Computers are handy but so is experience.

Thats a bit of a contradiction given that a lot of the info you will find when searching for fish/reptile info is actually peoples personal experience...

Well, I guess you're new here, but this forum is about learning things. I know quite a bit about beardies, but have recently seen lots of people talking about about WDs. I have googled it, but there's so much contrasting information out there about them, so I'm asking people I trust have first hand experience. But thanks, I won't be buying any from someone like you.

Thanks Chilli - that's the sort of info I'm after!

Sorry about that! As a breeder i get a lot of stupid questions thrown at me.

like (can i keep a wd with my axolotle in my 2 foot fishtank) or(do they eat) or (whats the difference between a wd n a beardie) as a policy i wont sell reptiles to Mod=Warren - swearing removed who are willing to part with a large chunk of money for a reptile without doing some basic research. i now understand your trying to do that research on this forum so maby you arnt a Mod=Warren - swearing removed after all. good luck to you.